My floating thermometer just broke in my wort...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarrettLaneBC

Reaction score
Just as I was about to reach a boil, the outer casing of my floating thermometer broke in my wort. The inner part is fine, so there is no worry about mercury or anything like that, but there is broken glass and metal shot in my brew kettle. It is currently boiling away.

I am continuing with the brew. I already used all the grain for the batch, the only thing I'd save by stopping now is a couple bucks worth of hops and dry yeast. Is there anything potential dangerous in this that would have me concerned? If that metal shot is lead based, is my beer potentially toxic?

Any insight would be appreciated. I was really looking forward to this batch.

Happened to me just the other week, i droped my thermometer into the kettle and it shattered when it bounced off the bottom. Theres nothing toxic in the weight. Its just steel shot and red silicone to cover it. I just let it boil and whirlpooled real hard to ensure all the debris was on center bottom of the trub. Even if you got a little in the fermenter its heavy enough to sink below the yeast cake anyways.

I have read this so many times that I don't use a floating thermometer anymore, I found a stainless candy thermometer at walmart that has a plastic top and a clip to hang it on the side of my pot.

Me personally, that would be a dumper. I won't dump for much, but I won't risk drinking broken glass, nor serving broken glass to someone else.

Back