Need Help With American Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbeLincoln

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm trying to modify my amber ale just slightly to rid it of an overpowering grapefruit flavor, which I am fairly certain is from the cascade hop. Additionally, hop aroma was milder than desired. Recipe is as follows:

12 oz 40L Crystal
4 oz American Munich Malt 10L
2 oz Vienna Malt 4L
1.5 oz Biscuit 24L
1.5 oz Belgian Aromatic
2 oz Red Wheat Malt
1 oz Roasted Barley

6.5 lbs Light DME

7.5 HBU Northern Brewer @60
1.5 HBU Centennial @ 60
3/4 oz Cascade @ 18
1/4 oz Liberty @ 10
1/2 oz Willamette @ 2
1/2 oz Centennial @ 2

Wyeast 1132 Northwest Ale Yeast @ 70 degrees

Dry Hopped for 1 week with:
.3 oz Willamette
.3 oz Liberty
.4 oz Cascade

I'm considering substituting either Simcoe or Amarillo for Cascade @ 18. Any ideas on which one will work best? I still desire the citriusy flavor, but the least grapefruit-like flavor is preferable. I'd really like to hear from a few brewers who have used these hops for flavor.

As for the dry hop profile, it was really nice (although mild) but did not last long. I'm pretty sure I should just double it for my desired aroma strength. Any thoughts?

Going Simcoe & Amarillo will not solve your grapefruit problem.

I would first try to reduce your hops to just two varieties to keep things simple as you find out what works for you. Give Summit a try for your bittering hop and some Hallertau for your aroma. I'd also eliminate your roasted barley. That is a very strong malt and 1 oz. is HUGE in an Amber. I use 1 oz. in my Robust Porter and is pronounced in that brew.

Thanks EdWort.

I had a feeling that the roasted barley might have added to the problem. Perhaps I'm mistaking its astringency for undesirable hop characteristics. Will use de-bittered black malt next time.

Still curious about simcoe and amarillo though. Which would lend itself better to an amber as a flavor hop in an American amber ale??

Simcoe and Amarillo will both give you grapefruit notes that you are trying to reduce. Summit will give you citrus, but more of a tangerine profile.

You might try toasting some 2 row pale malt, maybe 8 oz. for 30 minutes at 350 and add that to your steeping grains while dropping some of the European grains. It is an American Amber right? I'm a believer in simplicity in grain bills.

I appreciate your input EdWort. I'm definitely going to look into summit.

The grain bill is predominantly American, but consists of two small additions of Belgian grains for better malt flavor and mouthfeel. Next batch, roasted barley is getting eliminated all together. Aside from the roasted barley, the malt flavor and sweetness in this beer was superb and matched the hops and yeast characteristics very well. I believe in simplicity in the grain bill as it extends to brewing beers with delicate flavor and aroma profiles. For big beers I go kind of nutty o_O

One more thing, thanks for the apfelwein recipe. Last years oaked sparkling apfelwein and a box of large fireworks made the 4th of July pretty fun.

Back