Iphone app

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ztp

Reaction score
Anyone have an iPhone app they prefer to use/play around on for brewing? Which do you prefer over the other? Sorry I this was posted already, I searched and couldn't find it.

Beer Alchemy is the best for the IPhone, I create recipes with it, and it's easy to go to the LHBS and use as a shopping list.

I think beer alchemy is only good if you use the full program on a mac in conjunction.

I like brewpal which is only 99 cents. It will give you memory warnings but just ignore it. iBrewmaster is ok. It kinda annoys me tho. And it's stuck on 70% eff while I get 80 so PITA. I would get brewpal and if you don't like it your only out 99. The others are more expensive.

+1 to Alchemy. I've messed around with it a bit, and like it a lot. I recently purchase the full version for my Mac too. The wireless sync function is great. I did like it stand alone as well though.

Well I currently have brew pal and have several problems with it. Not just the memory but my ibu is stuck on zero for my current recipe, it keeps making me set up a SG and FG before I can do certain things. Its just became more of a pain than anything.

Ztp said:
Well I currently have brew pal and have several problems with it. Not just the memory but my ibu is stuck on zero for my current recipe, it keeps making me set up a SG and FG before I can do certain things. Its just became more of a pain than anything.

I haven't experienced that. Sometimes for me it goes goofy and I have to restart the thing. It has it's issues but I am not comfortable with the other programs. I can't remember the issue with Alchemy atmo. It was out of date on ingredients or something.

I really like Beer Alchemy as well. Currently use the mac, ipad and iphone apps. All work great but not sure if the iphone/ipad apps would be great without the actual computer software. Editing and creating recipes on my phone was a little slow and awkward, although it was better than any stand alone phone homebrew app that I've tried.

I also use BrewPal but am in this forum looking for something else because it is not adequate. I get the memory notifications and I cannot ignore them because the program won't save things in my recipes. Also, get values stuck or won't update or delete. Was great at first but now that I know more about brewing and what I need the program to do I need something more reliable.

Well, I downloaded beer alchemy, not reading more about it. It is kinda useless without a mac notebook, (yes I use windows). Disappointing because everyone I have seen on here really brags about it.

Unfort there isn't one hands down winner. I have them all on my phone lol. Eventually someone will make an awesome one. iBrewMaster isn't too bad. I still use Brewpal even though the errors can be migraine inducing.

Be careful with BrewPal, it does not calculate the OG/efficiency properly based on final, in-kettle post-boil volume. You can get around that error by setting trub losses in the kettle and fermentor to zero and the batch size to your post-boil volume (e.g. 6 gal) instead of the volume going into bottles/keg (e.g. 5 gal.)

I use ibrewmaster and I havent had any problems with it, I find the auto calculations fairly accurate as well. Someone mentioned that their efficiency was stuck at 70% but I have adjusted mine no problem. The only thing I wish it had was a pitching rate calculator.

sapperxl said:
I use ibrewmaster and I havent had any problems with it, I find the auto calculations fairly accurate as well. Someone mentioned that their efficiency was stuck at 70% but I have adjusted mine no problem. The only thing I wish it had was a pitching rate calculator.

I played around with it and couldn't figure out how to do it. IMO it just isn't very intuitive and that's the problem. I'll mess around with it more. At least it has the features.

There is a mr malty app now. Kind of a rip off at 5 bucks but I got it anyway because I am a sucker.

I haven't really used anything else other then the trial for brewsmith which was good but my wife won't let me take the laptop in the garage for six hours to brew so I cant really compare but it works good for me. Another good thing about ibrewmaster is that in the six months I've been using it it has been updated five or six times. Always good when developers continue to support their apps.

I am a devoted user of both iBrewmaster and BrewPal.

I think BrewPal is infinitely more adjustable and customizable. Many aspects are far more user friendly. Finding certain items to play around with, however, can be frustrating as there are almost "hidden" menus. Plus, as a brew day app and recipe creator, it doesn't have a stand alone equal. However, it IS buggy.

As a long term recipe database and for a much less cluttered interface, iBrewmaster is more superior. I think BrewPal is more useful on brewday, but if I'm using an established recipe, I almost exclusively use iBrewmaster. It's less capable, but less of a headache.

I use iBrewMaster. I had a minor bug problem, heard back about it via email within an hour. The only thing it is missing is a mashing calculator. Other than that it's a great product.

I think they could improve the ui but the functionality is there. I can write a recipe on the can. I am happy.

I buy all the software that comes out and really like ibrewmaster. I haven't even used my beloved beersmith since I got the app.

I buy all the software that comes out and really like ibrewmaster. I haven't even used my beloved beersmith since I got the app.

I have read some of the iBrewmaster reviews, are the pop ups annoying?
Is there advertising? For eight bucks I would like a "clean" app.

Advertising? Nothing like that. It uses modal dialogues for a few types of input. They've never bothered me, but perhaps that's what "pop ups" was meant to refer to.

FWIW, I quite like iBrewMaster. It's roughly feature equivalent to BeerAlchemy, but I found the interface of iBrewMaster better. YMMV.

Horace said:

There are pop ups when you open it for signing into facebook. I don't know or haven't figured out how to shut that off. Nothing pops up once you are past that. I would say it's worth the money.

Ibrewmaster does have a popup of their "suppliers" once in awhile when they add one. Maybe once every month or two, not annoying at all. You can even get some discounts at their "suppliers" with the app.

Back