My Secondary is (unexpectedly) full and I want to dry hop.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salguodtropma

Reaction score
I've read through a few of the Many Threads on secondary fermentation but was hoping to get a few opinions on my specific situation.

Before we get going here are the specs
5 gallon batch
extract only, (northwestern - weizen and Extra light)
OG was 1.054 but should have been more like 1.072 (I didnt mix well when I took my reading)
yeast = wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

I was planning to rack the beer into secondary and dry hop but the carboy that i was going to use is still occupied due to poor planning (and a sudden drop in temperature) on my part.

Since it's going to be hazy anyway can I just dry hop in the primary and leave it be or do I need to find another solution (IE buy another darn carboy)?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

a bucket for a secondary would be just fine. i have some of my DHed in buckets and they turn out fine. they are cheaper than carboys and lighter. plus you would have an additional primary.

All good suggestions, but to answer your original question, yes you can dry hop in the primary.

I dry hop the primary all the time, I cant stand using a secondary. It works great, I just make sure the yeast have slowed almost to a stop before I add it.

Back