Dry Hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlemingsFinest

Reaction score
I am brewed my first AG batch a couple weeks ago, and a day or two ago added dry hops. I used pellets, and just tossed them in and let the wort have at them. However, I didn't bother to transfer to a secondary fermentation vessel, just threw them in the primary. Is this okay? I'll be sure to siphon carefully so as to not get any hop debris if possible when it comes time for bottling. Thanks for help with yet another noobie question. Cheers.

I haven't done it just by adding pellets to the primary, only with whole, but many posters on here have said you can do it with pellets - they apparently typically sink after a couple/three days or so. That's the way I plan on doing it next time.

Either way. I've been just tossing them in lately. Its nice to not have to worry about a sanitizing the bag, weighing it down, fitting the bag in the neck of the carboy etc. You just have to rack around them. I've been using a hop bag on my siphon. The only trade off, is the siphon/bag gets clogged, but you just have to reposition the bag and restart the siphon. I think its a good idea to use the nylon bag over the siphon anyway, no matter how you dry hop. Just helps to make sure you get a clean rack.

I always throw them in the Primary. I usually add them when fermentation is about 90% complete. This way there is still some activity to assist the dry hop but not so much as it drives off aroma. I also give the fermenter a gentle swirl every other day during dry hopping to help as well.

What type of fermenter do you have? Bucket, carboy, better bottle? The Better Bottles are nice because they have the punt on the bottom where can can put your siphon and not pull up and trub.

When you are ready to bottle this one, push your racking cane all the way to the bottom and then pull it up an inch before you rack to the bottling bucket. That should keep you above the yeast cake and trub. As you get nearer the end of the racking, tilt the bucket slightly toward the racking cane and lower the racking cane until it is just above the trub/cake so you get all but the last half cup.

Back