Beginner batch sparge efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
So my fist attempt (10G IPA) resulted in an effeciency of about 65%...

What is typical for first timers? And how many attempts can I expect it to take to get dialed into the normal range 70-80%?

That's not the easiest question to answer.

It could be that your system is only capable of 65%. It could be about a dozen other factors.

The key for me was deconstructing my process and determining where (if at all) I was losing efficiency.

I really recommend reading HBT's own Kaiser's efficiency pages at braukaiser.com

If you can determine that your mash efficiency (% of sugars actually converted) is acceptable (~90+%) than you can tackle lauter (% of sugars converted that make it to the kettle) efficiency issues...

Depending on your mash tun size, it can be difficult to raise efficiencies when doing batch sparging on a 10 gallon batch due to the large amount of grist that has to be stirred. I always average 75% on 5.5 gallon batches when double batch sparging, but when it comes to 10 gallon, I find it more efficient for me to do a fly sparge using my type of mash tun.

It totally depends - there are too many variables. I would suggest brewing something and measuring and expect a small increase as you fine tune. I have been around 65% for ever, tweaked it just slightly recently to 70% for medium & lower gravity brews. Just don't brew a beer which requires accuracy and you will find out easy enough! The good part about that approach is the beer you end up with in the end!!

I've been hitting about 60%-65% since I started AG. I've given up worrying about it and just spend an extra $2-$4 on grains to make up for my poor efficiency....beer is still tasty :D

Note: that I'm pretty sure the drain on my mashtun is too high and needs to be lowered(too much dead space wasting wort on the bottom of the cooler), but I've been too lazy to fix since it's easier to just get a couple extra Lbs of grain. That might be my project for the holiday weekend now though :D

I bet you get something on your next batch.
It took me a few brew sessions to get consistent with efficiency.

Most beginners start with a lousy crush from a homebrew store. Crush is the single most important part. Also if you stir well enough that the whole MLT is the same gravity and drain it completely water pH is about all that is left to worry about (and it usually takes care of it's self.)

It was a B3 kit.. Are they known to crush correctly?

Also, one of the kits was crushed almost 3 weeks before brewing, and the other more than a week..

Could 'freshness' of grain contribute to efficiency?

My water is well water, that is first pumped into a 1000G holding tank where stuff largely settles out of it.. Especially this time of year when it's regularly below freezing..... What impact might 'that' have on it?...

Can I test PH with a pool or aquarium water testing kit? I might actually have a very good aquarium kit around somewhere, as I used to be obsessed with 'that' hobby way back (had 7 salt water tanks and even more fresh all going at the same time... LOL)

I started out ~65% just like you; store milled grain & untreated well water. I bought a mill, studied water a lot and got a Ward's Lab analysis. I'm now getting around 82% consistently. It can be done! Cheers!!!

Back