Continuous presence of foam during ferm. a good sign or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewd00d

Reaction score
Okay guys. Did a quick search about this on the forums but no relevant results.

Here's the scoop, started fermenting on Nov. 30th. I had it in the basement for about 2 weeks then realized with the hydo reading (OG was 1.42, when i checked it was 1.020 after 2 weeks fermenting) that it was a little too cold in the basement (about 58 F). During which time i noticed that there has been about 1 inch of foam on top of the beer for the whole fermenting process.

I moved it up into the office in the closest for a little warmer climate of about 65-70 F. Is the foam a product of just the particular type of beer or would it be from the colder temp it brewed?

My other 4 beers the foam was gone after about 2 days. Still using same equipment and process.

Probably the cooler temps make for a slow, steady fermentation. Nothing to worry about.

The foam is called kraeusen, and it rotects the beer while it is fermenting. Some yeasts stay on the top for a long time, while others' drop quickly after fermentation. It's a sign of good health.

Back