poll: Cascadian Dark Ale/Black IPA - proper name

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should it officially be called?

• Black IPA

• Cascadian Dark Ale

• American Dark Ale

• Northwestern Dark Ale

• New England Dark Ale

Results are only viewable after voting.

bovineblitz

Reaction score
Inspired by the discussion in the Black IPA thread, I thought I'd put a poll together. As you may know, this style was first brewed in Vermont in the early 90s. It became popular in the Northwest more recently and nowadays there's quite a few commercial examples.

What name do you prefer for this style? Black IPA is kind of an oxymoron, Cascadian Dark Ale is a little strange because it was invented in Vermont... nothing seems to fit perfectly.

What does HBT think?

Well, as I posted in the other thread, along with roast comments, I'm fine with American Dark Ale. Although, I think I tend to prefer Northwestern Dark Ale, as I think it helps root the beer in terms of location and history. I do unerstand that there is the Vermont link, but it does seem that this style is really becoming popular right now primarily due to the efforts of a lot of brewers in the Pacific Northwest. I'm not a fan of Black IPA, because I think it's more than just a dark colored IPA and, like I said in the other thread, Cascadia isn't REALLY an actual location, it's a made up place/name. If your going to use the name to anchor the beer geographically I would lean towards something referencing the Pacific Northwest.

I really don't think we need yet another thread and the merits of this name vs that name. Everyone has their opinion and will call it what they want. The BA has settled on American India Black Ale as the official name. Only opportunity left is the BJCP, but chances there are probably limited as well.

And for the record, Cascadia is not a made up place. It's a region of the Pacific NW comprised of British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, Northern California. All very real places.

I really don't think we need yet another thread and the merits of this name vs that name. Everyone has their opinion and will call it what they want. The BA has settled on American India Black Ale as the official name. Only opportunity left is the BJCP, but chances there are probably limited as well.

And for the record, Cascadia is not a made up place. It's a region of the Pacific NW comprised of British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, Northern California. All very real places.

For the record, I have never considered Northern California to really be a part of the Pacific Northwest! :D

...and we're going to have to agree to disagree on the whole legitimacy of Cascadia until the cartographers of the world finally lay this and other issues to rest in the impending geographic war 0f 2013. :mug:

India Black Ale seems the most logical as it contains all the information needed to know what you are drinking. American Dark Ale is better the Black IPA or Cascadian.

And while we are on the subject, is there another northwest I don't know about that this area must always be referred to as "Pacific" NW? Its like saying Breakfast Bacon.

My thought is although I somewhat frown on the used of the term "Cascadian" to indicate the style (because I could very well use hops from my own garden, or from anywhere else and still fit the style), Black IPA is not really a perfect descriptor either.

So Cascadian Dark Ale gets my vote based on how cool it sounds. I can put up with that name being used even though I have brewed one of these before I ever heard of it. If they want to grab some recognition like Koln, or Pilsen, be my guest.

Cascadian Dark Ale, for one reason only: this Cascadian Flag will make a great beer label! :D :mug:
Flag_of_Cascadia.png

My thought is although I somewhat frown on the used of the term "Cascadian" to indicate the style (because I could very well use hops from my own garden, or from anywhere else and still fit the style), Black IPA is not really a perfect descriptor either.

So Cascadian Dark Ale gets my vote based on how cool it sounds. I can put up with that name being used even though I have brewed one of these before I ever heard of it. If they want to grab some recognition like Koln, or Pilsen, be my guest.

Hmm, I never really even thought about the name Cascadian and hop implications.

As for the sounding cool, that's a big part of why I'm not huge on that name. It just sounds like a name someone came up with for that very reason. Hey, I know let's call this new style Super Keen Ale. Super Keen style ale is neato!!! How about Fonzi Ale. I mean, talk about cool. Maybe, Boba Fett Ale. He's one bad mother and this is one BAD beer!!! :D ;)

Considering that it has to fit into a BJCP Category, my first thought was it would belong in category 14 under "American Dark IPA" just because it's a big beer. But reconsidering I switch to "American Dark Ale" from your list and put it in category 10 American Ale, as a high gravity option there.

edit:
Cascadian Dark Ale/Black IPA are both poor and misleading descriptions of this style.

Seriously, I can't have Bacon for dinner? It's got to be breakfast, is that Kosher?

add me to the who cares vote.

India Black Ale seems the most logical as it contains all the information needed to know what you are drinking. American Dark Ale is better the Black IPA or Cascadian.

And while we are on the subject, is there another northwest I don't know about that this area must always be referred to as "Pacific" NW? Its like saying Breakfast Bacon.

Yeah, technically the northwest region is Washington. Oregon, Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming and Pacific Northwest, which is an unofficial region including Washington, Oregon, Idaho, northern California, western Montana. south east Alaska and British Columbia.

Now that I filled you with useless information you are likely to forget in a few minutes......someone said breakfast bacon. and I vote for Dark Breakfast Bacon Ale, why? Cause it's that damn good

I see what you're saying but IBA is generally assumed to be an India Brown Ale currently.

not everything with a lot of hops should have india in it, I mean that word is not in barleywine, russian imperial stout etc.... I almost thing it should be added to category 10 with the other American ones.

American Brown Ales can be drier with very pronounced hop flavor. So there already is a category, American Brown.

I really don't like anything with "India" or "Pale " in it. The IPA is a historical style and this new dark ale doesn't have anything to do with the historical style. And it's also not pale so any name with pale is just ridiculous. I voted for American Dark Ale which is consistent with the other styles like American Pale Ale, American IPA, American Porter, American Stout and American Strong Ale.

Back