Two Brother's - Hop Juice Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soxside

Reaction score
Direct from the brewery, here's the official recipe:

Grain:
US 2row 90%
Caramunich 5%
Biscuit 2.5%
Aromatic 2.5%

Hops:
Addition 1: Columbus .3 ounces
Addition 1: Amarillo .4 ounces
Addition 2: Columbus .2 ounces
Addition 2: Amarillo .4 ounces
Addition 3: Columbus .3 ounces
Addition 3: Amarillo .5 ounces
Dryhop: Amarillo 3 ounces

Mash at 152F for 20 minutes
Boil 90 minutes
Add addition 1 hops as you start to collect runoff
Add addition 2 hops with 75 minutes left
Add addition 3 hops with 60 minutes left
Add 1/2 the dryhops on day 7 of fermentation
Add 1/2 the dryhops on day 14 of fermentation
Bottle on day 21

You're telling me this recipe doesn't call for a flavor/aroma hop? I've had this beer and find it very unlikely. Are you sure they didn't leave something out by mistake? Also, the hops seem fairly low. Of course, I'm assuming this is a 5 gallon batch.

I agree that the hops do seem low, but it's difficult to argue when they provide the recipe. My plan is to use this info and enter it into a program, adjusting the hop levels and grain bill to get the desired ABV and IBU's that match their bottle.

You're telling me this recipe doesn't call for a flavor/aroma hop? I've had this beer and find it very unlikely. Are you sure they didn't leave something out by mistake? Also, the hops seem fairly low. Of course, I'm assuming this is a 5 gallon batch.

I am not familiar with this beer at all so I may be unqualified to comment...but if it's a lower-gravity beer (recipe doesn't say), it may not take that much hops to give it some punch. Columbus and Amarillo are fairly high AA, so it won't take that much to provide high bittering. The long boil will also increase hop utilization. Finally, the first addition (first-wort hops) probably takes the place of the flavor hops.

That much dry hopping will give the beer plenty of hop aroma.

I am not familiar with this beer at all so I may be unqualified to comment...but if it's a lower-gravity beer (recipe doesn't say), it may not take that much hops to give it some punch. Columbus and Amarillo are fairly high AA, so it won't take that much to provide high bittering. The long boil will also increase hop utilization. Finally, the first addition (first-wort hops) probably takes the place of the flavor hops.

That much dry hopping will give the beer plenty of hop aroma.

It's a 10% ABV double IPA, which is why I think the recipe is a bit off. I haven't punched it into BeerTools though, so I could be wrong.

Back