"Buzz" in element or ssr

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakins

Reaction score
Just started today, but when doing my boil at 70%, I hear a buzz everytime the SSR turns the element on. Not sure where it's coming from. Element is a 4500watt from HD and the SSR is from Auber. Any ideas?

I doubt an SSR would buzz.
Does the buzz go away after a few seconds? If so, it can just be from the E/C cycle (expansion/contraction) as it heats up.

Somewhere I read, maybe on a water heater element manufacturer's site, that if the element is oriented so the loop is on edge it may vibrate when under power. If the loop of the element is flat (horizontal), it shouldn't buzz. Don't know if this will help, but may be worth a try to turn the element 90 degrees and see if this changes things.

It seems to have gone away by the end of the boil. Best I could tell it was the element, though it is horizontal. Weird...

Don't worry!
I have an electric keggle and electric HLT (both 4500w) and depending on the amount of water and the temperature, they will both start to "howl" but this usually only lasts until the water is at a rolling boil or until the volume changes a bit! I have done about 20 batches so far and the element hasn't burnt out.

Back