When to add Belgian Dark Candi Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinksWellWithOthers

Reaction score
I'm recirculating my mash and getting ready to sparge my Belgian Dark Strong ale. This is the first time I'm using Belgian Dark Candi syrup from BMW. I doubt it matters but when do you guys add it to the boil?

I add it at the end to get better hop utilization, but I doubt it makes much of a difference either way.

I like to add simple sugars directly to the primary just as the krausen is starting to fall. It lets the yeast chew through the maltose first and helps avoid a stuck fermentation. Just boil it in a small amount of water, cool and pour it in.

Well it looks like I don't have a choice now. I forgot about the syrup and will have to add it to primary. It was my first brew day in almost 3 months and it did not go smoothly. Stuck sparge, boil over, forgot the syrup, couldn't find my brew hauler, hose connector broke, couldn't find my hops scale and chilled my beer way to fast and by the time I realized it the temp was 56F. At least its done and on the plus side I almost hit my OG even without the syrup.

I used 2#'s of clear in my last Dark Belgian recipe. 1# at flameout and the other I added when I racked to secondary. One of my best beers to date.

Brewers choice though really..

Can anybody speak to sanitation concerns when adding the syrup to primary? I have D2 syrup to add to a dubbel and am wondering if I can just spray the outside of the bag with star san and then add it to the carboy directly, or if I should boil it in water first? Basically, is the stuff sterile as is, or is it not safe to make that assumption? Since it is already liquid, how much liquid is a "little bit."?

I would only use enough water to dilute it so it doesn't settle out in the primary. it would be a shame to have that sweet nectar go unutilized.
Just a side note...if you are looking for a really good syrup product, I made the switch to Candi Syrups D180 for a quad...this is a really good product.

Back