• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Cheap hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scobro

Reaction score
I'd like to give back to the HBT community. Not sure that my posts are worth anything, so I figured cheap hops might be a start. I thought I'd do $1.25 per ounce with a $1 packaging fee + actual shipping. This is basically at cost. These are all 2009 leaf hops except the Saphir which are 2008 pellet. They come from my personal stash which I keep vacuum sealed in the freezer.
I've got:
  • Cascade
  • East Kent Golding
  • Liberty
  • Mt Hood
  • Saphir
  • Willamette
I could probably get other varieties if your willing to wait about a week. Besides, that's a great excuse for SWMBO :ban:
So for each variety if you want 1oz = $2.25, 2oz = $3.50, 3oz = $4.75. I can't imagine shipping will cost very much for these small weights. I might be able to ship small amounts in regular postal mail. I'll ship them in foodsaver vacuum seal bags unless someone can think of a better way.

There is basically a $1 base charge for each separate hops package. This covers the foodsaver bags and use of the vacuum sealer. If I didn't charge anything I'd be losing money - I figured $1 seemed fair. So the more of a particular hop you want, the cheaper it is.

I have a newbie question: Will the 1 oz of leaf hops provide more, less or tha same amount of hop effect compared to pellet hops? I have not yet used leaf hops so i am unsure how much I would need compared to pellet form.

Thanks...

Mick

I use beer smith and end up calculating the IBUs to get my hop additions so it takes into account the leaf utilization for me. Beer smith uses a 10% reduction in utilization. So technically you need 1.11111111111 (you get the idea) to equal 1oz of same AA pellet. Personally I think that only applies to your IBU calculations and I do not believe there is a 10% reduction in aroma or flavor extraction for late addition hops - but I have no data to back that up.

I would say that quite often I use 1oz of leaf in a recipe that simply calls for 1oz (assuming pellet) and it turns out great. However, that said I almost never stick to the recipe anyway and tweak something to fit what I want the beer to be.

What about larger quantities?

Say if I wanted 16 oz of Cascade in as few bags as possible, 8 oz of Mt Hood in as few bags as possible and 8 oz of Willamette in as few bags as possible, would you charge $1 for each bag required? Are you set up to sell by the pound?

No hurt feelings if this isn't your cup of tea, I just wanted to buy a little more than 2 oz and not pay an extra $40 for bags.

The $1 charge is only for each time I have to bag. If someone wants, I can put different hops in the same bag and it will only be $1(though I suppose I can only fit about a lb in a bag). The idea is to make sure I am not losing money. If you don't specify I'll just assume each variety goes in 1 bag, so 3 varieties = 3 bags = $3

Pretty sure I have the Mt Hood and Willamette right now, but it would take about a week to get a lb of Cascade since I just sold 8oz of it to someone else. PM me if you want it and we can work out the details.

Got my order from SCOBRO. 8oz of Willamette and 8oz of Mt Hood. Waiting for the cascade to come in in a couple days. Nice to get these from him. No, it may not be the best price for a lb, but SCOBRO delivered.

Thanks harpo for the kind words!

sorry, but Simcoe seems to be hard to get for some reason.

Got the hops today for my brew. Awesome, thanks a lot! I shoulda ordered more, these are gonna go fast...

Back