Pabst Brewing for sale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to have to read her book, she seems like a hoot. :)

They sell PBR in longnecks here in IL... not sure where this "only in a can" thing comes from...

I can buy it in longnecks in Michigan, and have had it both in the can and on tap in bars.

Maureen's great, I've probably posted more about her on here than anyone.

Ogle cleared up a lot of those "beer myths" that we beer snobs used to harbor to "keep us warm" and to somehow make us think that we're better than those who drink Bud products, I covered that here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/ca...junt-led-ice-cold-serving-138613/#post1571821

You can listen to her on a great two part on basic brewing.

Listen to this from Basic Brewing;

November 30, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part One
We learn about the history of beer in the USA from Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part one takes us from the Pilgrims to Prohibition.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr11-30-06.mp3

December 7, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part Two
We continue our discussion about the history of beer in the USA with Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part two takes us from Prohibition to the present day.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr12-07-06.mp3

Her blog is great as well. http://maureenogle.com/blog/

Only in a can?.... Heck...I had it on tap about a month ago...(Had to try it...), waiter asked if I wanted another....No thank you.....

This may be splitting hairs, but while PBR isn't actually that bad for that style of beer, I prefer the new, old Schlitz. It might be because Archie Bunker used to drink Schlitz...

Right at the end of the video:
"You either like beer made or corn or you like beer made of rice."

How about beer made of malted grains?

Um, hate to break it to you but even bmc contains malted grains, and many, many homebrewers AND microbrewers use rice and/or corn in their beers. In fact Biermuncher has quite a few FANTASTIC recipes that contain rice, and corn. ;)

And, actually, I don't think she's too far from the truth, at least in terms of where commercial lagers fall. I personally like corn adjuncted lagers like, PBR, or Labatts, way over rice adjuncted lagers like budweiser, or saphoro. And I think many folks, though they may not quite understand why, have a preference for one or the other. We've talked about this before, rice adjuncted lagers produce dry, crisp beers, while corn adjuncted beers tend to be more creamy...hence the style know as a cream ale.

how can you be a "brewing company" that doesnt brew anything? huh. "fake? fake how? like decorative fake?" "no fake like doesnt exist fake"

Breweries that did not brew anything at some point during our lifetimes (assuming you are old enough to drink):

Brooklyn Brewery (most of their beer has always been contract brewed, they brew some now)
Westvleteren (contract brewed by what is now St Bernardus for decades)
Achel (contract brewed by Artois for decades)

So yeah, screw Westvleteren, right?

Um, hate to break it to you but even bmc contains malted grains, and many, many homebrewers AND microbrewers use rice and/or corn in their beers. In fact Biermuncher has quite a few FANTASTIC recipes that contain rice, and corn. ;)

And, actually, I don't think she's too far from the truth, at least in terms of where commercial lagers fall. I personally like corn adjuncted lagers like, PBR, or Labatts, way over rice adjuncted lagers like budweiser, or saphoro. And I think many folks, though they may not quite understand why, have a preference for one or the other. We've talked about this before, rice adjuncted lagers produce dry, crisp beers, while corn adjuncted beers tend to be more creamy...hence the style know as a cream ale.

I was refering to substatuting most of the malt for corn or rice. Yes, a little here and there is fine, but what Bud and Miller do is cost cutting crap and headache inducing, IMHO.

Now, while I as well prefer PBR over Bud, I'd rather drink an ALL malt brew over that any hour of the day (in addition to any day of the week). I'll eat corn or rice, don't put it in my beer.

Maybe explains why I like certain beers better than others. I prefer the corn beers apparently. Bud tastes so plain and thin compared to some others.

i know a coulpe bars where i live that one bar has pbr in bottles and the other has pbr in bottles and on tap.

Maybe explains why I like certain beers better than others. I prefer the corn beers apparently. Bud tastes so plain and thin compared to some others.

That's what I discovered about me a few years back. I realized that I don't hate ALL BMC, just, it seems "Bud" type products. So trying various "Lagers" including those from microbreweries, I made a list of the ones I hated and the ones that were ok; trying to figure out why I liked some and not the others. Finding out that I like corn adjuncted lagers and not rice ones like sapporo and bud.

Then I discovered cream ales and really like them. Of course they are usually corn adjuncted ales. I even brewed my cream ale recipe as a lager and it ended up tasting like many commercial micro-lagers that I liked, that had were full bodied.

I'm always looking for a beer that I can at least drink and not want to vomit if I'm at a sporting event or sports bar, or non brewpub. A lot of the bars I go to after hockey games in town carry either PBR or Labatts so those have become my goto beers in those situations. I've noticed with labatts that if you let it warm up a bit, the "corniness" comes out nicely (as opposed to bud products that taste horrendous when warmed up.)

Pabst is one of the better BMC beers IMHO, I was lucky enough to have Bob Newman ( head brewer) at my house for dinner last year, the guy knows his beer, we spent 6 hours or so talking about Pabst and the changes all the big brewer's are facing . Much like the banking industry went thru a couple of years ago, they face such international pressure from overseas investors , things aren't what they used to be . this is sad.

Im not a big fan of large corps ... personally some of these large companies need to fall so new people can step up, to many mega corps bringing down the average man .... the thing about corps is they never die. Id like to see more small scale brewers (Mom & Pa Shops).

IE: Bud breweries are run by about 2-6 people, yet produce 1000 bottles a minute. Every time you buy a mega beer, you really pay for advertising and some CEO guy buying collector cars cause he cant seem to spend the money fast enough. If I wanted to buy some dude a $300 a plate dinner I would buy from mega corps.

Ive always supported my local brewers because it supports families.

We have a joke around here.... if you like commercial beers, you would like ours with water.

isn't that the dream? man, i can't wait until my brew is being pumped out by two a%shats getting paid ten bucks an hour at 1k bottles a minute. all things beside, i have found the pbr on tap to be a not to bad, like it better than the bud products.

I like PBR.

Not for the taste or anything, just because the say the won a blue ribbon at an event where there was no declared winner. Everyone just got a medal for participating. They they decided to name their beer after it! Man that takes some balls, huh? You have to give them credit for their "style". If thats what you chose to call it...

isn't that the dream? man, i can't wait until my brew is being pumped out by two a%shats getting paid ten bucks an hour at 1k bottles a minute. all things beside, i have found the pbr on tap to be a not to bad, like it better than the bud products.

That's not my dream. I'm with FireNightFly, support the small guys that need it. My dream is to craft good beer that people like and make enough money doing it that it pays for itself and for me not having to worry about it paying for itself.

I don't want a BMW, I don't want a big boat, I just want to be happy and brew good beer. Maybe have a nice garden. :tank:

Don't get me wrong, I support my local brewpub and micros. I would say about 95% of the beer I purchase is from a micro. So you wouldn't buy/drink a tasty adult beverage just because it came from the big scary corporation? You would buy crap water because it is local? lame. How can you not have a big boat in cleveland?

I wont lie, there is a Bud brewery within seeing distance. It sickens me to see them bring in billions of dollars a year and have only a handfull of employees. I dont buy the crap cause i dont care to support a CEO who wants 24k gold spinning rims or the latest in Flat Screen Tech.

Call me old fassion, but I thaught the idea of capitalism was to facilitate compitition in order to lower prices. I have no interest in living a high life (pun intended). I want to live for the pursuit of happiness. These large corps are nothing but to see how low they can produce and how high they can charge you.

But, I suppose if you like Dogs with sexy women or Frogs who burp a commercial beer names, do your thing. :mug:

I agree totally. When Bud was taken over it was a bad thing. I am personally not a fan of their products, but when a big boy gets bought up by another big boy that is not good for anybody. I did enjoy the commercials they aired during the baseball playoffs, does that count for enjoying their product?

I wont lie, there is a Bud brewery within seeing distance. It sickens me to see them bring in billions of dollars a year and have only a handfull of employees. I dont buy the crap cause i dont care to support a CEO who wants 24k gold spinning rims or the latest in Flat Screen Tech.

Call me old fassion, but I thaught the idea of capitalism was to facilitate compitition in order to lower prices. I have no interest in living a high life (pun intended). I want to live for the pursuit of happiness. These large corps are nothing but to see how low they can produce and how high they can charge you.

But, I suppose if you like Dogs with sexy women or Frogs who burp a commercial beer names, do your thing. :mug:

Anheuser-Busch, had 25,000 employees in the US.

In the Inbev acquisition, they sold their private jets and senior managers lost their private secretaries and offices. This is not a very good example of corporate excess. It is a pretty lean company.

I hope whoever buys Pabst decides to slim down their brands and sell off Olympia and Rainier to someone in Washington State who will actually brew those beers here again.

It just seems wrong to say "It's the water" knowing that it's brewed in Milwaukee and not Tumwater.

Back