Used Whiskey Barrel Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curbdawg

Reaction score
Well its that time a season again!! I just found out that my locally orchard supply store got a shipment of Bourbon Whiskey barrels in. I use to be able to buy them at one of the apple orchards near my house, but they have had trouble getting them the past couple years. I'm all ready to buy a barrel, but am a bit worried. For one thing the price for a barrel has doubled since I last bought one. And secondly these are not true "used once" barrels. These barrels were purchased from a brewery that had aged beer in them for about 30 days. The brewery had purchased them directly from the Jim Beam brewery in Kentucky, brewed beer in them and then rinsed them out.

My question is do you think that the effects of aging beer will effect any of my process of making cider? I know that the flavor of whiskey will still be there seeing that the bourbon is aged for 30 years in these barrels. I'm just worried about any nasties left over form the beer. Thanks for your time

Back