2009 Fantasy Football Veterans League

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Invitation sent. Reverend JC also received an invite.

I'd like to hit 12 teams, so I guess there needs to be some discussion as to who the remaining 2 players will be. This needs to be done fairly quickly, as the live draft is in 19 days (8/30 at 3:30 pm).

If I don't hear from other members by about mid next week on this, then I'll just decide who gets invited. SPEAK UP, PEOPLE!

I'm in the same spot schweaty is in. I'm in the Rejects League already, but if you need another body, I'm still interested.

Duly noted, thanks guys. It will be some arbitrary method such as who asked first, who's been a member the longest, something like that.

This league is not free, FWIW. We play in a free league at Yahoo, but everyone puts in $20 and we pay out the top 3 (correct me if I have the nujmber of payouts incorrect, Yooper).

Just wanted to make sure those who want in are aware of this.

I figured as much, but I don't want to think I have the league settled and then listen to someone bitching because they 'didn't know' that it was going to cost them $20.

We paid out the top three spots last year; something like $150 to the winner, $50 to 2nd place, and $20 to third place. If we did 12 spots x $25, we could do like $200/$75/$25, if we wanted to make it a LITTLE more interesting.

We have a draft date set yet? Want to make sure I leave the calendar clear.

I changed the draft date and time from Friday, August 28th to Sunday, August 30th at 6pm. As long as half of the league can make it, the draft time will stay and those that can't make the live draft can autopick. Let me know ASAFP if you can make that draft on 8/30 at 6:30pm, because the available times for live drafts on Yahoo! are drying up very quickly.

:D

My bad, I just verified on the league settings page and it is at 6:30 pm, EDT. on 8/30. Not 6 pm as stated above.

This league is not free, FWIW. We play in a free league at Yahoo, but everyone puts in $20 and we pay out the top 3 (correct me if I have the nujmber of payouts incorrect, Yooper).

Just wanted to make sure those who want in are aware of this.

We paid out the top three spots last year; something like $150 to the winner, $50 to 2nd place, and $20 to third place. If we did 12 spots x $25, we could do like $200/$75/$25, if we wanted to make it a LITTLE more interesting.

We have a draft date set yet? Want to make sure I leave the calendar clear.

I don't care if it's $25 or $20. I think we should make it clear that non-payers will be ridiculed this year. No more mrs. nice guy here!

Keep in mind that paypal has small charges, which I absorbed in previous years. Not a big deal if it's a couple of bucks, but if it's more than that, we might not have a nice even number for the payouts. I like the idea of the $200/$75/$25 though. That seems like a good payout.

PM's are being sent for the final 2 spots. I never heard anything from anyone, so I picked whoever sent me the most hops. If I don't hear back from one or both of them by Friday morning I'll go down the list until we are at 12 teams.

Can I make one small rules request? Last year, scoring was VERY much driven by touchdowns, it hardly mattered at all how many yards a guy had, it was almost entirely based on whether he got in the end zone or not. The year before, scoring was VERY much driven by yardage, there was a 10-point bonus for cracking 100 yards rushing, touchdowns were almost less important than a guy just grinding out 101 or 102 yards.

Can we get a better balance this year? Split the difference and institute a smallish (like, five point) bonus for a RB or WR getting 100 yards? Likewise, maybe a five-point bonus for a QB cracking 300 yds passing?

Nothing like being fashionably late. I would like to give you guys and gal my money, if there is still room of course. After taking it all in the survivor league last year, it's the least I can do.;)

Can I make one small rules request? Last year, scoring was VERY much driven by touchdowns, it hardly mattered at all how many yards a guy had, it was almost entirely based on whether he got in the end zone or not. The year before, scoring was VERY much driven by yardage, there was a 10-point bonus for cracking 100 yards rushing, touchdowns were almost less important than a guy just grinding out 101 or 102 yards.

Can we get a better balance this year? Split the difference and institute a smallish (like, five point) bonus for a RB or WR getting 100 yards? Likewise, maybe a five-point bonus for a QB cracking 300 yds passing?

Absolutely. I have no problem with this at all.

1 point will be given for every 50 yards of passing, with an additional 5 points given if 300 yards is broken.

1 point will be given for every 20 rushing yards, with an additional 5 points given if 100 yards is broken.

1 point will be given for every 20 receiving yards, with an additional 5 points given if 100 yards is broken.

HighPlainsDrifter and schweaty have told me that they are in, so that gives us our 12. Once I get an email address from HPD I'll get them the information they need to get signed up.

There was something weird about QB scoring last year, too. Seemed like it you always got either +25 points or -5. How many points get deducted for a sack? Was that one or two? I remember too many games (not just mine) were someone had what seemed to be a good game, but because they went down three times ended up netting hardly any points.

I'd say no more than 1 point deduction per sack taken. +7 for a TD, -2 for a pick, -1 for a sack, plus the yardage as you're doing it above.

I changed the sack points.

TD = 6 points for throwing/receiving/running for a TD.
Extra point = 1
Sack = -1
INT = -2
Fumble = -2
FG 39 yds or less = 3
FG 40-49 yds = 4
FG 50+ yds = 5

Live draft is this Sunday at 6:30 pm EST.

If you can't make it, pre-rank your players. If you do neither, don't come bitching to me. :D

I just sent my $ to Yooper. I marked it on Paypal as

"Payment for services" :D:D

BTW my ISP has been booting me all day, so the draft should be interesting.

Yooper, what is your email for the paypal payment?

Make sure you put your team name in the "message" line if it's different from your HBT ID so I can credit the right person.

Incidently, Bernie's message was NOT the first time someone was a smart-alec in the paypal message. My all-time favorite came from rdwj- it said something like "memo: lapdances. Thanks for the good time!"

I thought it was hysterically funny. My husband did not.

Is it $20 or $25?

I was 100% sure it was $25, but about 1/2 said they thought it was $20. Five people have paid (including me) and we paid $25. (A couple actually paid a dollar more, to help cover those stupid paypal fees, but that's not necessary unless it's alot. I covered it last year).

BTW, I missed you in the draft!

I almost missed the draft. I stepped on a stingray last night/this morning and have been in a pain pill induced coma most of the afternoon. Those suckers can inflict some serious pain! Anyway, I woke up at 6:30, logged on and was on the clock! I didn't really wake up until the third round though.

After scanning everyone's drafts, I predict Cheese and I in the finals :D

1. Ohiobrewtus looks strongest
  2. As long as Cutler finds a receiver, AP should do the rest to carry HighPlainsDrifter
  3. Schweaty's receivers may just be strong enough to carry that whole team
  4. I am hoping some of my sleepers pan out
Last year on paper I had the highest scoring team in projected stats and I lost my first round draft choice 20 minutes into the season. Net, a strong draft only gets you so far - free agent pick ups get you the rest of the way.

Good luck everyone!

Meh, I couldn't make it back to the house in time to live-draft, and I hadn't pre-ranked (thinking I was going to draft), so my team pretty much defined "meh." I'll say, though, that by the end of previous years, the teams that I've had (which have generally been pretty good) tend to bear very little relation to the teams that I started out with, it's all about the adjustments, the matchups, looking for young players who are ready to break out, taking advantage of when other teams drop players for various reasons.

'Brewtus, how long is the waiver period this year?

1. Ohiobrewtus looks strongest
  2. As long as Cutler finds a receiver, AP should do the rest to carry HighPlainsDrifter
  3. Schweaty's receivers may just be strong enough to carry that whole team
  4. I am hoping some of my sleepers pan out
Last year on paper I had the highest scoring team in projected stats and I lost my first round draft choice 20 minutes into the season. Net, a strong draft only gets you so far - free agent pick ups get you the rest of the way.

Good luck everyone!

I'm not sure about my team being the strongest, but I will say that I was very happy with my draft. I would have liked to get some better receivers, but you can't have everything.

Back