Floral yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeastie

Reaction score
Wild yeasts live wherever sugar is found, usually on grape skins or in flower nectar. I am thinking about culturing some yeast from flowers.

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

This article has some good info and I would try the bee dissections but I doubt I can differentiate a bee's stomach from it's liver...

I plan to use wort as a starter but am unsure how the floral yeast will do as it is clearly adapted to a different growth medium. Time will tell, I will do this when I get DME which won't be for a week or two.

What about using honey (close..) as a starter medium, then ramping over to wort?

Honey would probably be perfect. Nectar, and therefore honey, are mostly a mixture of glucose and fructose, so there would be no metabolism adjustment for the yeast in the starter.

Good idea, would I need to add some sort of nutrient to the honey/water mixture? I hear honey has no vitamins for yeast.

I'm no expert on mead making, but I don't see how a standard yeast nutrient (from homebrew supply store) would hurt.

Good, I am thinking of using honey to culture then split the batch in half. Half I will gradually add DME and throw away some of the previous solution until it is wort the other will stay as honey as inevitably some yeasts won't tolerate the malt.

Back