Whirlpooling problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTHarrington

Reaction score
So,

I've been TRYING to whirlpool my latest batches to try to get some of the hops and break material out..

I've read the Whirlpooling Wiki and all the topics I could on the subject...
and I still can't get a good cone to form.

After I get done with IC chiller, pull it out and start a vigorous whirlpool (for a minute or so) and after 20 to 30 minutes, I still don't get a good cone, but all I get is settled out break/hops on the bottom of the kettle.

Is my weldless fitting interrupting the whirlpool - ie, is it slowing it down so that I don't get a good one going?
I don't feel like using a hop back, but maybe I'll be forced to do that...

My kettle is short and squatty, it can hold 40 quarts.. maybe that has something to do with it..

Any ideas?

0316091058a.jpg

I have the same problem as you. I have a similar setup with a thermometer too and it is my belief it does not work with things sticking into the side of the kettle. I think these breaks up the vortex of the whirl pooling. So now I use a Bazooka screen when using whole hops and a copper pipe that reaches to the edge of the kettle when using pellets.
After I chill I let the wort sit for about 45 (Cover on)minutes then open the valve and drain away no problems with clogs of trub in the primary.

I stopped whirlpooling. It seemed the stirring mixed the trub into solution more than seperated it out. I just decant now.

My guess would be you are not stirring for long enough. To get a proper whirlpool the entire volume of liquid has to be moving at about the same speed and rather rapidly. I have my dip tube in the kettle and a thermometer and I get a very good whirlpool cone.

A good whirlpool depends on a smooth flow. That spigot sticking in the keggle is like dragging your foot outside a canoe.

Ain't gonna get very far, very fast.

Keeping hops out of the fermenter is good. The break however is not an issue.

Maybe try a strainer to suspend your hops.

Keg_Scetch_W_Bag.jpg

HopBag6.jpg

I buy BierMuncher's theory... I think my pickuptube and weldless fitting are interrupting the vortex.. or at least slowing it down. And yes, I have stirred the living **** out of my wort getting a good whiripool going... I'm willing to bet my pickup tube is causing me grief...

I could extend my dip tube to the side of the kettle, via a 45 degree fitting and keep it off the bottom of the pot...
But, I think I might try to modify the weldless fitting to intrude less.. and hopefully create less drag...

the funny thing is I've seen people with various fittings impeding the vortex of the whirlpool... but I guess they were using pumps to maintain the whirlpool.. fitting like this:
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17806&size=big

"Keeping hops out of the fermenter is good. The break however is not an issue."
BierMuncher

BM, do you think it's a waste of time to try to keep the trub out of the carboy? I also can never seem to get my whirlpool to work, but I am getting tired of mucking around with it at what should be the very end of a long and hopefully uneventful brewday. If you think that its OK to just dump everything (except the hops) into the carboy, then that saves me a ton of headache!

Would the style of beer affect what you try to leave in the kettle? For example, a hefe without any irish moss or whirlflock?

Yes, you won't get a whirlpool going with that thing sticking into its path. Just attack a SS scrubby pad to the opening of the tube and it will filter hops and hot break for you.

Kai

A good whirlpool depends on a smooth flow. That spigot sticking in the keggle is like dragging your foot outside a canoe.

Ain't gonna get very far, very fast.

Keeping hops out of the fermenter is good. The break however is not an issue.

Maybe try a strainer to suspend your hops.

View attachment 10286

View attachment 10287

I like this idea. And it is a great pic so I can visualize it. However, your kettle looks like it has teeth. How many times has that thing bitten you?

Are you using pellets or leaf?

I use a pump with a simple 90 degree fitting going into the keggle and a 90 pointed towards the bottom to feed the pump. I get a great cone build up with a 15 minute, active whirlpool.

I only use pellets and I also use irish moss. Again, I get a great hot break and I am able to leave quite a bit of trub and most of the hops in the kettle.

My keggle has the two 90s inside along with a thermometer. A sight glass fitting will be added soon. No problems when using a pump.

Yes, you won't get a whirlpool going with that thing sticking into its path. Just attack a SS scrubby pad to the opening of the tube and it will filter hops and hot break for you.

Kai

yeah, that's what I'm going to try for the next batch. but unfortunately, the largest part of the piece sticking out is the stainless coupler. I'm going to remove that and use a copper NPT adapter instead.. to get a little less drag in there.. should only be about 1" nub sticking out in the base of the kettle then...

Latest posts

Back