Bar Top material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinesmith

Reaction score
I was cleaning house and was about to throw out this headboard which was broken. I just had this crazy idea to build a bar out of it. Anyone got any ideas for a cheap top. I was thinking of finding 2 wide boards and glueing them together with clamps.

DSC_0449.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

I went to home depot and looked at the flooring. Thanks WileECoyote for the idea. The were lacking in colors though. Thats what we get for being on such a small island. I settled on poplar wood. Well that is until they didn't have enough so most is poplar wood and the center is oak. I wanted the entire thing oak but its $9 dollars a foot here.

DSC_0468.jpg

DSC_0463.jpg

Although I didnt use the flooring for the top, if the sides don't turn out right with the stain. Because its a cheap flat wood I may just buy some flooring panels to cover it up. Im moving to Germany in 3 months and hope the movers don't break my new project before I can enjoy it

If you got rid of the headboard and put in shelves you will have a lot more storage space. Would a mini fridge fit in there?

Yeah I may get rid of the headboard eventually but it was really the only reason I started the bar.

i am almost done with the bar. I have had a lot of friends say to remove the headboard as well. I might just keep it in for a few more months and then build some shelving. Thanks for the ideas. I was also thinking of building speakers into the sides. Anyone have any other ideas I could add on to this project.

Make sure you allow the bar top to "float" on one edge. As temp changes, the top will expand/contract. If the entire thing is screwed down, you may get bowing/split in the top itself. An easy way to do this is to screw one side down from under your back rail, on the front rail (before screwing it down), make small slots about a .5" long. When you attach the front (or the piece where you would be standing behind the bar, however you orientate it), use a screw with a washer, and screw it in the middle of the slot. This will allow for the wood to expand/contract and not mess with the top itself.

Personally, I would do the top all in oak. I know it isn't cheap where you are, but that poplar is "paint grade" hardwood. It changes color quickly in sunlight, to something that will not look good with that oak. Better to go without for a week/month while getting the top done right, than get instant gratification and want to redo it later. YMMV.

Another alternative would be to get some of the oak plywood, and then get some of the thinner pieces of oak at HD and use it as banding around the plywood edge. This gives you a stable top that will not move on you due to temp/moisture content, looks nice, and probably come in a bit cheaper as well. Just a thought.

I already screwed on the top. I wish I would have read that sooner

DSC_0481.jpg

DSC_0480.jpg

DSC_0479.jpg

DSC_0477.jpg

DSC_0476.jpg

Make sure you allow the bar top to "float" on one edge. As temp changes, the top will expand/contract. If the entire thing is screwed down, you may get bowing/split in the top itself. An easy way to do this is to screw one side down from under your back rail, on the front rail (before screwing it down), make small slots about a .5" long. When you attach the front (or the piece where you would be standing behind the bar, however you orientate it), use a screw with a washer, and screw it in the middle of the slot. This will allow for the wood to expand/contract and not mess with the top itself.

Personally, I would do the top all in oak. I know it isn't cheap where you are, but that poplar is "paint grade" hardwood. It changes color quickly in sunlight, to something that will not look good with that oak. Better to go without for a week/month while getting the top done right, than get instant gratification and want to redo it later. YMMV.

Another alternative would be to get some of the oak plywood, and then get some of the thinner pieces of oak at HD and use it as banding around the plywood edge. This gives you a stable top that will not move on you due to temp/moisture content, looks nice, and probably come in a bit cheaper as well. Just a thought.

I know you said the poplar would fade. Do you think if I put an epoxy over it after I stained it, that it will still fade? I thank you for the advice you gave. I am headed to Germany in 2 months and after 2 years there I may be going stateside and Want to build myself a permanent bar wherever I get a house.

I didn't realize you were staining the top. It won't fade now that you've put stain on it, should be good to go!

I didn't realize you were staining the top. It won't fade now that you've put stain on it, should be good to go!

Thank You.
Bar is done. The stain is still sticky after a few days. I hope its because of the 100 percent humidity here and not anything I did.

Its done but I think I might have to do something with sides since the stain is still wet after about 5 days.

DSC_0482.jpg

DSC_0486.jpg

Use some polyurethane to seal it up, it will also take away that sitcky feeling. Plus if you spill anything it makes for easy cleaning. Other than that solid work all around, way to re use something that would otherwise be sitting in a landfill. Cheers.

you have to wait for the stain to dry before applying the poly top to it. Did you mix the stain up really well? Not sure why it's taking so long to dry, unless you really flooded it.

you have to wait for the stain to dry before applying the poly top to it. Did you mix the stain up really well? Not sure why it's taking so long to dry, unless you really flooded it.

I mixed it pretty well but yeah I did use quite a bit. I like my wood dark. Its pretty dry now after almost 2 weeks. Its only one spot on the edge that is giving me the problem now

I mixed it pretty well but yeah I did use quite a bit. I like my wood dark. Its pretty dry now after almost 2 weeks. Its only one spot on the edge that is giving me the problem now

did you do the stain all in one shot? meaning, to get that dark of a stain penatration, multiple coats would be the way to go. putting it on heavy will take a while for it to dry.

The headboard that started this whole thread looks too good to hide underneath. I'd hang it on the wall behind the bar as a place to display glassware and bottles, and use the drawers for bar tools and such. Just sayin'....

Back