Cheapest Brewkettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko623

Reaction score
Guys,

I know this has been posted a million times, so please hold off on yelling at me! Several weeks ago I came across a particular post where the OP shared a link to the cheapest kettles I've ever seen online. The post included a picture of his two grade-school-aged children sitting in the pot. Lots of jokes followed.

My question is: Does anyone know where the post is hiding? Or what site he referenced? I cannot find it anywhere..

Thank you!:tank:

Can't say I have seen that thread but the cheapest large kettle I know of is the Penrose kettle. Search for that one.

Sadly it seems they are out of stock. They've got a cool business model slash story on the website. Hopefully they keep going.

There has to be some dude in India making these things for dirt cheap.

IMO, keggles suck big time. I would trade a keggle for a regular kettle of the same capacity in a heartbeat. Don't believe everything you read on the interwebs.

IMO, keggles suck big time. I would trade a keggle for a regular kettle of the same capacity in a heartbeat. Don't believe everything you read on the interwebs.

The OP wasn't looking for the best kettle, but the cheapest. That being said, $30 for a 15-gallon SS kettle qualifies as the cheapest.

Really? The price is the biggest advantage. For $100 investment I have all the features of a Kettle that would cost 3 or 4 times more.

The OP wasn't looking for the best kettle, but the cheapest. That being said, $30 for a 15-gallon SS kettle qualifies as the cheapest.

I was referring to 509C's claim that nothing beats a keggle. I disagree. I do agree that an illegal keg is probably the cheapest way to go, but I would never agree that they are the best choice for a kettle. The keggles are very heavy and cumbersome. The concave bottom makes for uneven heat distribution. The skirt will remain red hot long after flame out which significantly inhibits cooling. Considerable work is required to transform a keg into a working kettle. It's unlikely that the cost will be only $30 all said and done. These issues may be even more important if using the converted keg as a mash tun. I'm not trying to tell anyone not to get a keggle. Just saying that it would not be my preferred choice. I have one and would like to get rid of it asap which should be soon if all goes well.

I was referring to 509C's claim that nothing beats a keggle. I disagree. I do agree that an illegal keg is probably the cheapest way to go, but I would never agree that they are the best choice for a kettle.

We cool. :D

Back