Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread on this after a quick search so here it goes....

For those of you that use northernbrewer.com for supplies what are your experiences? Would you recommend them? Also how many ice packs do you order for your yeast? Does the yeast keep even during the summer time heat?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Justin
:mug:

I've had good luckj with them.

With you living in Madtown, you should be fine getting yeast in the summer--however I'd be inclined to get yeast at my LHBS anyway. Madison has to have one, right?

When I was in Minnesota a few months ago, I actually stopped into the NB store. It was pretty cool. I bought my shirron chiller there. Their prices are pretty competitive on everything.

I order from Northern Brewer quite often and have always been satisfied with the quality. I never get an ice pack for my yeast, and I haven't had a problem yet.

I just got my first order from them and was very happy. I ordered 1 ice pack per vial of yeast. They bundled all of them together in one package. Was fine.

Dude said:
....With you living in Madtown, you should be fine getting yeast in the summer--however I'd be inclined to get yeast at my LHBS anyway. Madison has to have one, right....

Thanks for the replies guys. There is a LHBS in Madison that I frequent, even bought my entire brewing setup from them, but they don't carry the strain of yeast I was hoping to use for my ESB. So enter northern brewer and figured if I was going to pay for shipping on the yeast I'd probably just go ahead and order the other stuff I needed for the brew. Maybe I'll ask someone there if they can special order when I stop in this afternoon. The guy I talked to yesterday wasn't sure on a couple of strains.

I'm fairly sure your LHBS can order a pack of whatever specialty yeast you need, he probably just doesn't get enough demand to keep it in stock.

Another route is to harvest some yeast from a microbrew that you like and see if you can make a good culture on your own.

Otherwise, I order from NB quite often and I'm very fond of their products and service. Quick shipping to where I live (Northern Illinois) and a better selection of ingredients than my LHBS. Still, for some items I'd rather go LHBS simply to support them.

I ordered from them last week.
Pros: Fast shipping. Good packaging. Relatively good supply.
Cons: A pound of Honey Malt that I ordered was missing. I called them and told them: Hey man, whats up with the missing Honey Malt? They said this kind of thing was rare. I told them this set the brew date back--he then said that since it was Friday and they couldnt get it to me by the weekend they would send it next week. What made me mad though was the fact that they didn't expedite it. I just received it yesterday! You would think they would have the decency to expedite the hell out of it to get me brewing.
I've decided to order from morebeer.com now because they are in California. Also, I compared their pricing to NB and morebeer.com on avg saves you $2 per product.
Thats just my opinion. I was probably just a special and rare situation but since it was my first order, it gave me a bad first impression. Nothings worse than hoping to brew on the weekend and to find that part of your recipe is missing. :(

Latest posts

Back