craigslist MEGA score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSRider

Reaction score
Picked up this commercial cooler today. Its got room for 4 sanke kegs, already has a temp controller inside. As a bonus, I didnt know was coming, There is a perlick tower with two taps on top. got this for a wopping $75.00, and 2 hours of digging it out of the snow. Only thing I need for it is a pump for the AC. Im hoping to pick up a free fridge this weekend and grab the pump from there. This thing is 104" long and 42" high.

0102091512.jpg

0102091513.jpg

0102091748.jpg

You Rock ! If you do a little polishing- you're gonna have to wear shades around that thing after you shine it up !

P.S. I'll give ya $150 for it - just for scrap value!

Yep, you definitely are in the running for the YOU SUCK award for 2009. Why can't I ever find shizzit like this?

Wow.

That reminds me of when a friend of mine bought a turn-key restaurant. There was a huge walk-in with about six Sanke kegs and two taps and a drain the came through the wall of the cooler so the servers could pour beer. Tons of beer lines and goodies. Problem was, it was about 6 yrs ago and I wasn't homebrewing then.

Damn.

Awesome find guy, congrats.

If by "pump" you mean compressor, there is a lot more that is going to need to be done than you think. You'll need to find an appropriately sized compressor (a standard fridge one is way too small for this) have it installed, brazed up, vacuumed and charged. Few hundred dollars more at any HVAC place but well worth it still.

I was quoted $800 to replace my compressor on a similar sized beverage air. It was not worth it for mine as the box was really worn out and rusting away. I went for a freezer.
If mine looked like yours, though, I'd pay the $$. You should be able to get the compressor for $250-$400 but a good part of the cost is the refrigeration work as Kilgore describes.
That's a beautiful keg box. Man those doors and hinges alone are sweet.

I was quoted $800 to replace my compressor on a similar sized beverage air. It was not worth it for mine as the box was really worn out and rusting away. I went for a freezer.
If mine looked like yours, though, I'd pay the $$. You should be able to get the compressor for $250-$400 but a good part of the cost is the refrigeration work as Kilgore describes.
That's a beautiful keg box. Man those doors and hinges alone are sweet.

I think what Im going to do is since I wont be using this for anything but serving, I may end up going ghetto and building a bulkhead on one end, and installing a window air conditioner. I will vent the end with the ac so it wont overheat. It will still give me room for 3 sanke or 12-15 cornies inside, but will cool more efficiently than using a smaller compressor from a fridge. I am eventually going to build a nice keezer with wood overlay and tile for the bar surface, so this can be temporary.

i'd reconsider that. thats a beautiful piece of eqipment, a show-piece for a home bar. If you found that you've GOT to find a good deal on the proper compressor for it. its just toooooo cool. it's a classic!

^ +1 don't, rush do it right, maybe scour CL for the right size/type compressor.
You could always go temporary ghetto by taking one door off and hooking up a pink board/wood collar thing to the opening. please don't chop open the side...

Hey, you can always try to rig up your new compressor and try to charge it yourself. If you screw up and blow up your free compressor...oh well.

I'm no refrigeration expert but I worked with a guy who built a cooling system for ice cores using rigged up parts from old fridges. Blew out a few compressors but finally got it right. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong, but that's my 2 cents.

^ +1 don't, rush do it right, maybe scour CL for the right size/type compressor.
You could always go temporary ghetto by taking one door off and hooking up a pink board/wood collar thing to the opening. please don't chop open the side...

Im not thinking of cutting the side, just giving up the room behind one door. The AC would be in a wood bulkhead inside the cooler, with the ventilation coming from existing refrigeration and power holes in the side.

Also after pulling the coils they also would need replaced, the lines were not crimped so there could be any number of things inside the coil. I always keep an eye on craigslist and should I find a proper refrigeration I will be able to install it since the ac unit plans dont modify it permanently.

Damn I wish I had seen your post before scrapping my bevair, it's coils were in great shape. I woulda sent them to you for some beer and shipping.

Back