How do you guys make these INCREDIBLE label graphics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PicknGrin,

Could you clarify what you like about some images?

Inkscape has some really neat features such as converting a normal pic to a pencil sketch with varying pencil lead thickness or converting the same image to an oil painting. Most likely what you are seeing is the ability to rasterize or vectorize an image and then add layers, plus adjusting some of the pic qualities with the features mentioned prior.

Mostly what I am saying is find a pic image software and play around with the fun features until you become a so called expert.

Me, I am still trying to figure out how in the world you make an animated gif like this :ban:

Seriously :cross:

Me, I am still trying to figure out how in the world you make an animated gif like this :ban:

Seriously :cross:

that one is easy, especially with GIMP.

Make a picture in GIMP, with each Layer being each image that will be cycled.

Then, Save As... a .GIF. GIMP will ask you if you want to flatten the image, or save as animating .gif. Choose the latter. It will ask how much time you want between each cycle, and voila. these can be very simple (like the dancing banana, which is only 4 frames i believe) or very complex (like 2 minute clips of a tv show, seriously)

that one is easy, especially with GIMP.

Make a picture in GIMP, with each Layer being each image that will be cycled.

Then, Save As... a .GIF. GIMP will ask you if you want to flatten the image, or save as animating .gif. Choose the latter. It will ask how much time you want between each cycle, and voila. these can be very simple (like the dancing banana, which is only 4 frames i believe) or very complex (like 2 minute clips of a tv show, seriously)

Thanks! I will have to try this soon. I haven't worked with GIMP. Inkscape seems to be more complicated. Much appreciated Berserker

I am a photographer "in real life" so i have a lot of experience working with photoshop. Once you know what it can do, its fairly easy. I usually start out with a photo of one of our dogs, then add and blend elements as required. For example in our last label, I started with a photo of our puppy, superimposed her over a picture of a moody wheat field, and adjusted the coloring of the layers so they both had a matching warm tone. Then in a third layer, I added the peice of wheat hanging out of her mouth. From there I just popped it into a premade beer label template (made earlier), changed some text, and presto.

Ah ok..thanks... I was just now playing around with some photo effects in Paint.net...I'm finding it a bit easier to navigate than GIMP. I've used Paint.net in the past for the most basic functions. I'm way amazed by some of the labels people have posted on here.

I do most of my labels in Photoshop but just for fun I've done a few labels in MS Paint. Yes that's right, PAINT. See below.. label was completely drawn in paint, with the mouse. It's no work of art but it was a lot of fun to draw!

beastie_bw.jpg

I created my labels with adobe photoshop and adobe illustrator. I occasionally work in 3d graphics from 3dsmax. Its all just a matter of what you're comfortable working with. Great images can come from anywhere!

ok, here's a question ... how do you guys apply your labels? i've seen something about milk, but i couldn't find it in a search?

here's the label i made up for my brew thats gonna happen next week ....
label_1.jpg

ok, here's a question ... how do you guys apply your labels? i've seen something about milk, but i couldn't find it in a search?
I print the labels on normal paper using a color printer, cut them out, then brush the back with milk and stick it straight to the bottle. It works brilliantly, and may just be my favorite thing that I learned on these forums.

I do most of my labels in Photoshop but just for fun I've done a few labels in MS Paint. Yes that's right, PAINT. See below.. label was completely drawn in paint, with the mouse. It's no work of art but it was a lot of fun to draw!

beastie_bw.jpg

haha, nice utilization ms paint! I often times use paint over CAD to do a lot of small drawings, and get similar if not better results, and people will still ask, wow, did you use CAD for this. Yoooou betcha.

Ok...I am still amazed by the labels you guys are making. I found this image that I'd like to incorporate into a label. I want the background of the image to take up the entire area of the label. How can I stretch the background without distorting the picture? Also, does it make more sense to use GIMP, Inkscape, or Paint.net?

Thanks!

NapoleonBike.jpg

Latest posts

Back