anyone have eperience with Rubbermaid Roughneck plastic sheds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boswell

Reaction score
I've GOT to get my equipment out of my crawlspace that we call a laundry room. I saw these click together sheds at lowes. Are these weather resistant enough to store my pots, MT, grain (in lowes buckets) etc? I'd like a little brewshed of my own, but being in Philly all I have is a patio. These sheds are small and convenient enough and seemed to keep out the rain out when I looked at them, but the lack of real insulation worries me that my equipment would deteriorate. Anyone using one and leaving their equipment outdoors year round?

I've got the upright closet type and one of the rectangular chest types. There good for keeping the major elements out but not bugs/spiders etc.

Also, condensation is an issue. Your stuff will degrade over time long term. Short term though they are good enough.

I've got one that I store my lawn tools/mower, etc in. Seems water tight. You're more than welcome to come check it out. Going on 7 years now.

I have a 6' x 6' x 6' one. Would never do it again. Over the years the roof has started to warp and one corner (that holds one of the door hinges) is lifting up. It is maybe one inch of drop over the 6 foot width from being completely level and is starting to twist a little making the doors out of kilter. I keep wishing the roof would blow off so I could justify building a real shed. In an ideal world, you would want to set it on a level concrete pad, just like at Lowes.

Edit: went back and re-read your message. I don't think I would put grain (even in a bucket) out there, temp swings and humidity not really good for grain,

I have one against the back of my house that contains stuff for a fish tank (tubes feed through the back of the shed, through the house wall, and into the tank sump).

I get tons of frogs, palmetto bugs (florida's flying cockroaches), spiders, etc in there. A rat or raccoon has just about chewed through one corner of it. It's worked out alright, but it's not a "brick ****house".

Calling a shed made of plastic "Roughneck" is some solid marketing doublespeak.

Something that I did to protect my well pump, water softener, garbage cans & feed cans & other odds & ends was to use four of the pressure treated stockade fence panels.

I sunk four 4x4 posts on the corners, attached 3 of the panels for the walls (there was some mitering of the braces & whatnot to make a nice fit). The 4th panel was cut in the center and that made the double doors. I picked up some Simpson Strong ties and made a simple but strong hip roof that is open underneath so there is nothing to bang my head on. I closed one gable in with a piece of plywood. The door end gable is open but no reason it couldn't be closed. On the inside I stapled up 30# tarpaper and sheeted with 3/8" plywood. This gives me a mounting surface and it blocks air & water from coming through the pickets. I used 5V metal for the roof. It's weathered two hurricanes, many a thunder storm. No reason that something a bit fancier could be made using the panels in the same manner.

Back