With 2 Row and WLP 008 Whats a good 1st all-Grain batch to start with???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWeezie

Reaction score
I have some washed WLP 008 and and 12lbs on Briess 2Row from Christmas to start my first batch of All-Grain. Wondering if there is a clone I can do that has those two in them or should I just go with a fat tire clone I was planning on and sub out the yeast?

Briess Two Row is a standard base malt for most American styles, and WLP 008 is also intended for lighter American style ales, so you could make pretty much any APA, American Ale, lighter stout, porter, amber, red, etc. that you want.

Instead of getting complicated for your first AG batch, I would start you off with a solid SMASH American Pale Ale:

10 lbs Two Row

0.75 oz Cascade @ 60
0.5 oz Cascade @15
0.5 oz Cascade @5

WLP 008 yeast

2-3 weeks primary @ 68F
Bottle/Keg and condition for 3 weeks

Chill and CONSUME!

Briess Two Row is a standard base malt for most American styles, and WLP 008 is also intended for lighter American style ales, so you could make pretty much any APA, American Ale, lighter stout, porter, amber, red, etc. that you want.

Instead of getting complicated for your first AG batch, I would start you off with a solid SMASH American Pale Ale:

10 lbs Two Row

0.75 oz Cascade @ 60
0.5 oz Cascade @15
0.5 oz Cascade @5

WLP 008 yeast

2-3 weeks primary @ 68F
Bottle/Keg and condition for 3 weeks

Chill and CONSUME!

I was thinking about buying a bulk quantity of Briess 2-row (50lbs) and Cascade Hops (16oz) as baseline ingredients to start practicing different All Grain recipes.

The first recipe I was thinking of trying was a simple SMaSH, however heavier on both grain and hops than what you listed above. I was thinking more along the lines of:

12.5 lbs 2-row
2oz Cascade @ 60
1oz Cascade @ 15
1oz Cascade @ 5

I tend to like hoppy IPA's, and that is basically what I was aiming for, a simple IPA. Do you think the recipe would scale up, or would there be something missing that would be critical for an IPA as opposed to an APA?

If this works I figure I can make 4 batches using this same baseline recipe, and start adding additional ingredients to experiment with as I get more consistancy in my process.

Back