best conditioning time for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
i generally leave my beer in primary for 21 days, no secondary. im trying to get a feel of how long most people leave there beer in fermenter when just using a primary. is there any benefit to taking it off sooner or later than 21 days? brewing mostly IPAs in the 6-7abv range....

For me, about two weeks in the fermenter or until at FG for at least a few days and nice and clear. Then I package it unless I'm adding oak or something like that.

All of my batches are in primary anywhere from 21-28 days and then it's off to the kegs, or secondary if I'm adding something else to the brew.

I usually do 3 weeks in the primary. I have three primaries so if I brew often then it just works out that way.

Bigger beers and Belgians always go for 5 or 6 weeks.

Lately they have been going longer because of life getting in the way. I have one that has been 5 weeks and still need to be dry hopped. Probably get to it today and then bottle it next week.

I have a big enough pipeline that I am no longer in a rush to get the beer into bottles.

I think there is no rule of thumb. A lot depends in the yeast your using. I use a lot of Nottingham, it ferments out quickly. So with most of my beers being ales around 1.052 OG, i go 2 weeks in primary, crash cool for 3 days. rack to the keg, chill for another week, then carb.

A week or two. But then I don't just let it sit at 65 and I'm not afraid of a secondary. Proper temperature manipulation will get it to finish faster and cleaner. Anymore my process follows the fermentation closely and I can serve some tasty beers in as little as two weeks.

3-4 weeks but never more than 4. Things tend to sit in secondary for a month or so before I get around to them, though.

I think there is no rule of thumb. A lot depends in the yeast your using. I use a lot of Nottingham, it ferments out quickly. So with most of my beers being ales around 1.052 OG, i go 2 weeks in primary, crash cool for 3 days. rack to the keg, chill for another week, then carb.

I use the same routine....unless adding fruit.

Depends on the gravity and fermentation routine. For an ale of average strength with a typical yeast pitch I'll ferment for 7 days or so, let the temp rise for 2-3 days to finish out, and then chill and keep cold for another 3-4 days for drop most of the yeast out before racking to a keg.

Back