Blichman AutoSparge Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beertk

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a Blichmann Autosparge. I am using a March pump with Silicone hosesfrom Austin Home Brew. I understand that the silicone hoses can't hold up to much forward pressure on the lines. Will having the pump running while waiting for the Autosparge to open and release sparge water into the mash be a problem for the silicone hoses.

a. Will the pump create pressure on the hose while waiting, Possibly bursting the hose? Or, will the pump just freewheel while waiting for the autosparge to open?

b. I use a converted sabco keg for my MLT. will this likely be a probem when cleaning out the grain? Does it fold up so that I can dump the grain?

c.Is this the best way to go? I have seen the electronic float switches but I am more inclined to go with a mechanical solution. It just seems easier(and less importantly cheaper). Opinions welcome.

For what it is worth I am using thick walled 1/2 hose and a standard issue homebrewing special March 905 pump with ball valves on both sides.

The silicone hoses will be fine, I do the same thing.

The autosparge float arm comes off easy so you can clean the MLT if you need to.

This is a simple solution to an age old problem... I like it.

So, How high should I mount it in the keg. I would like to be flexible enough to do both 5 or 10 gallon mashes.

Do people use these? It seems like not to many people are saying much...

Should I reconcider spending 50 bucks on this?

You have to determine the volume in your MLT for a 5 and 10 gallon mash, then place it accordingly.

Most people just match the flow out of the MLT and HLT, they arent willing to pay $50 to have a tool to make it easier.

I have one...and it is -meh-
It's good and all and I'm glad I have it...but I really can't rely on it if I have to.

I've had stuck sparges that keep filling cause the sparge still gets by the valve even when the ball is all the way up. But it does do a passable job of slowing it to help keep the flow sparge about right...you'll still need a valve on the out of the pump though.

As for the height it all depends on the height of your MLT.
If you are very vertical then you might need a 10G hole and a 5G hole.

Thanks, it doesn't seem like there are too many steller reviews on this but it doesn't seem too bad either.

Out of curiousity, Jay, what setup are you using? Are you in a converted Sankey as well?

If anyone has pictures of how they've mounted it that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ben

I had mine in a 10G cooler...though I just replaced it with a 15G Blichmann Pot (if they ever get around to sending it to me...3 weeks + gotta love back order!)

I'd snap a few shots of my 10G cooler...but I got angry during the last stuck sparge (bad false bottom) and it accidentally fell on to an axe...repeatedly.

Latest posts

Back