Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 41638

Reaction score
So I am starting to get very worried about my beer. What does the beginning of fermentation look like?

I repitched my yeast (see my other post for details why) today and within minutes of pitching it started "growing" a moldlike substance at the top. Is that the beginning of krausen or is that an infection?

That beautiful foam forming atop your beer is krausen and it is a sign healthy fermentation. Has more formed since you posted your thread?

Haha, moldlike. If it were mold it would not grow in minutes. Definitely krausen. Let it ferment until the foam on top of the beer goes away- then secondary OR bottle/keg that thing!

I guess I can shamelessly steal from the internets:
Ten hours:
dsc00227.jpg

Twelve hours:
dsc00228.jpg

Twenty hours:
dsc00229.jpg

Those look like the beginnings of a really typical ferment, but EVERY ONE IS DIFFERENT, so look out for blowoff....

That beautiful foam forming atop your beer is krausen and it is a sign healthy fermentation. Has more formed since you posted your thread?

Nope, just the few couple spots that were there before.

I checked again this morning before leaving for work, and its the same thing that was there last night. No signs of bubbling in the fermenter or the airlock. I realize that it may never bubble in the airlock due to co2 escaping elsewhere.

I was really hoping it was krausen, and not any type of infection. Didn't know how quickly an infection might show up...

There were no other signs of fermentation, I wasn't relying on the airlock to tell me if there was fermentation but rather as a secondary piece of information.

Either way, I repitched and I've got some nice fermentation going.

I can't connect to a website (from work) to host a picture online, so I'll attach one later.

Back