Pliny the Elder from AHB???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guy and gals just wondering if any of you have bought the Austin Home Brew recipe version of Pliny the Elder and brewed it? How did it come out? How did to compare to the real PtE? Any info would be great. I really want to try to brew a clone of this brew.

I think the AHS recipe is based off the well published recipe from Russian River. Here is the recipe for the clone: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/pliny-bastid-21229/. What I am trying to say is that they are basically the same and same as the recipe brewed at Russian River, so any difference will come from difference in you system and brewing practices.

Note, all the pre 45 minute IBUs in PTE now come from extract, and you can get a very similar product from Northern Brewer (hopshot).

No one really likes to answer the question do they. It's a common problem when you ask something that no one knows the answer but know the basic topic. They answer a DIFFERENT question LOL

Beerrific is sort of correct but buying a kit might be cheaper and there WILL be differences \.

If you look at AHS site they have a comment section on every brew

Comment by Richard J K on Tuesday 26 January, 2010

Bought and brewed the all grain. This is a phenomenal beer. I just recieved my second kit. This will become a standard brew in my house

Comment by Josh P on Monday 07 December, 2009

I just tapped your Pliny the Elder clone this weekend and it is delicious! It's surprisingly smooth for 368 theoretical IBUs and the punch-you-in-your-face hop flavor and aroma are awesome. Based on the ~8% ABV I thought it might take a while to get through this keg, but after enjoying 4 or 5 pints with my brother-in-law this weekend I think it'll go much quicker than I originally expected!

I'll answer. It was fantastic. I compared it side-by-side with an actual Pliny (thanks to a benevolent HBT member) and it was pretty damn close. Definitely on the brew again list.

Beerrific is sort of correct but buying a kit might be cheaper and there WILL be differences \.

If you buy the same thing that is included in the kit there will be no differences. The fact that it is a kit is of no consequence.

i brewed it up and it is awsome and very close. i can get pliney on tap at 2 bars close to me so i drink it often. the batch i brewed up was AG BIAB, i under shot my gravity so added some LDME to make it up. it took about 6 weeks in the bottle for it to mellow out and taste awsome. i tired one after 3 weeks and the hops were too much. after 6 awsome! i also mashed a bit low 152 i think i would mash a little higher cause it was not as sweet as the real thing but will definatle make it again since i now have a 10 gal mash tun :)

Latest posts

Back