What will this taste like (first extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

profarm

Reaction score
After jumping right into all grain, I tried my first extact. I got a NB Extra Pale Ale kit and tried a full boil:

6lbs of Gold LME
1lb of carmel pils
3oz of cascade (7.5%) 60,30,15

well, first off I put in to much water, ended up with 6gals at the end of 60min and a really low gravity 1.038.
I had 1oz chinook(11%) for a FWH and I did the 3oz cascade at 20, 10, and 0. It is fermenting right now and the smell of hops is so overpowering, i coughed when I took a deep breath...What will this taste like. I entered it into beersmith and i says over 60abu's at 3.50abv.

thanks

Well, it'll be bitter and hoppy. If you want, you could buy some more extract, dissolve it in as little water as possible, and boil it and cool it and add it.

If you add 3 pounds of extract in 1/2 gallon of water, that would give you an OG of 1.053, which might be quite a bit better. (I didn't calculate it out, but try it and see).

Well, it'll be bitter and hoppy. If you want, you could buy some more extract, dissolve it in as little water as possible, and boil it and cool it and add it.

If you add 3 pounds of extract in 1/2 gallon of water, that would give you an OG of 1.053, which might be quite a bit better. (I didn't calculate it out, but try it and see).

I won't be able to get more extract untill this weekend, i probably will be fermented out by then. will that be to late?

Yeah, probably a bit late for adding it. You'll end up with a hoppy, lighter bodied beer. And the body will depend a lot upon what yeast you used.

Hope you like hops, hehe.

cheers

~r~

Yeah, probably a bit late for adding it. You'll end up with a hoppy, lighter bodied beer. And the body will depend a lot upon what yeast you used.

Hope you like hops, hehe.

cheers

~r~

Thanks...I do but maybe not that much. I used 1056 and made a starter

I'd go ahead and buy the DME when you can, and add it. It'll still ferment. I mean, I like hops (love hoppy beers!) but that may be WAY over the top. You could sample it first, since it'd be about fermented out. See how it is. If it's way too bitter, then you could boil up the DME, cool it and gently add it.

Latest posts

Back