First AG Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
Its a modified Trout Tail Stout, added come chocolate grain to the mash and some coffee to the secondary.

Here it is, let me know what you think.

8lbs Pale Malt 2-row
1lbs Cara-Pils
1lbs American Crystal - 40
1lbs Balck Patent Malt
1lbs Chocolate Malt

Hops
.7oz Chinook 60min
.2oz Cascade 60min
.2oz Cascade 10min

OG: 1.056
IBU: 30
5.5 Gallons

All done. FG 1.058. 76% Efficiency with 2 batch sparges. The boil down took a little longer than I had hoped but what are you going to do.

I have all but given up on black patent due to the ash taste in my darker brews.
My last two stouts used only 2 oz of black patent and was fine. Anymore than that and I get the ash taste back.
One pound of chocolate might be a bit too much also, but let your taste be your guide and let us know how it comes out as you are the one drinking it and individual tastes vary.

Its tasted good. A little more like a porter than a stout. The chocolate comes through strong but I'm hoping that will maybe balance out the black patent. Overall I liked it. I was planning on 4oz of ground coffee in secondary. Let me know what you think.

I forgot to preheat the tun so I tried to compensate with a higher strike temp of 176F. This was too high because the temp went from 148F to 164F by the end. From what I've read this will just give it a lot more flavor.

jcarson83 said:
I forgot to preheat the tun so I tried to compensate with a higher strike temp of 176F. This was too high because the temp went from 148F to 164F by the end. From what I've read this will just give it a lot more flavor.
If I'm reading this right, you added the grain to 176 degree water? Next time add the water to your mash tun at 176F then let it cool to your target strike temp. You will then hit your desired mash temp right on the money.

Best way to preheat is to heat your strike water to 180 and then pour into the mash tun, close the lid and let it set until it cools to your strike temp.

Waldo said:
Best way to preheat is to heat your strike water to 180 and then pour into the mash tun, close the lid and let it set until it cools to your strike temp.

So you let the water set in the tun without the grain in it? Why 180? My target is 158F.

I just fill with hot tap water and let sit while I bring the strike water to temp. Then go about 1-2 degrees higher in the strike water. this normally lets me hit my temp right on the money.

jcarson83 said:
So you let the water set in the tun without the grain in it? Why 180? My target is 158F.

Ok I'll try again.

Say you need 3 gallons of water for your mash, you want to mash at 153 degrees, you heat your 3 gallons of water to 180 then pour it into your empty mash tun close the lid and let it set for around 10 minutes. Say your strike temp is 168 degrees, check the water temp until it has cooled to 168 then add the grain check to make sure your temp is good and mash as normal.

I had fits with my mash temp dropping several degrees after the first 10 minutes, this way the cooler is completely heated and the temps hold great. I also had some trouble with hitting my mash temps, since I've been doing it this way I haven't missed.

Could be, but doesn't mean he's a troll. I've seen him around a little before, I have no reason to believe he's intentionally starting trouble. Sound like he's like me, trying to make my own recipe for the first time (co-incidentally, mine's also a mocha stout) but perhaps being a little too aggressive on the black patent. That's OK, live and learn.

Turricaine said:
The guy starting the thread is a troll. This brew would taste like black death.
I've read a few posts from jcarson83 and I don't think he is a troll. To jump to that conclusion is unfair at this point. Lets discuss this so we can all learn something. I'd be willing to bet that there are folks out there who like that much black patent and chocolate in their beer.
:mug:

Has anyone tried brewing with a pound of black patent? Not that I would do it again if I had the choice, but I don't think it turned out that bad.

113386928_20cc233d55_m.jpg

Can't be any worse than 8 oz of peated malt in a Scottish 80/. I had to dump that one, I gave it a couple of months but it still tasted like bacon.

I'm going to be making Papazian's Sparrow Hawk Porter, and it calls for a 1lb of black patent malt as well. :confused: But now you guys got me worried! Bah, heck with it! I may as well use it. My point is, it's not unheard of to use a pound of black patent.

eviltwinofjoni said:
I'm going to be making Papazian's Sparrow Hawk Porter, and it calls for a 1lb of black patent malt as well. :confused: But now you guys got me worried! Bah, heck with it! I may as well use it. My point is, it's not unheard of to use a pound of black patent.

Thanks. I'm not as worried now. I'm sure me and my troll friends will enjoy it anyway.

Back