Why Homebrewing is such a great hobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
There have been a couple threads lately about how people got started and "the power of homebrew" that I've enjoyed reading.

One reason homebrewing is a great hobby is that you can enjoy it every day. Not only can you enjoy the fruits of your labor, but if you're an active brewer, there's something happening almost all the time, even if it's only admiring the swirling action in your primary, or whatever.

My other hobby is backpacking, which is the extreme opposite. I can dream about trips, look at maps, etc., any time, but I'm only actually doing it a small number of days out of the year.

It's a great hobby because:

1. The number of gadgets are limitless. There is always something to improve or upgrade.

2. I enjoy the science of the craft nearly as much as the actual drinking.

3. The whole family gets involved in brewery operations...My children toss in the hops, my wife helps with bottling, friends drink the beer!

4. You can brew all year. With some hobbies (golf, motorcycles, snow sports) you're limited by season.

5. Happy endings...a GOOD buzzzzz! :tank:

and also it is great when a guest shows up that has never tried homebrew says "WOW, you made this?" that right there makes it all worth while....

Especially when it's your grumpy LMBMC drinking Uncle whose idea of homebrew was the swamp water brew him and his buddies brewed in a tin potwith bread yeast back in highschool.

He really liked my rye pale ale. That reminds me. I'm going to have to make another rye beer soon. Haven't made one in a while. Maybe a rye weisen? or Roeggen.(sp?)

Yeah, I dig it because even though I'm away from my fermentors (and brew!) for over half the year because of work, I can still spend that time reading books and preparing recipes for when it's time to brew.
(Not to mention hang out here :mug:)

I'll throw my two cents in since I'm new to the forum. I got involved with home brewing and enjoy it because it gives me the opportunity to craft exactly the style of beer I want when I want it. Typically, I'm limited to a very poor selection of the "standards" found at the groceries stores, and it seems in this area, unless it's flavored American "water" style beer, it's probably going to be old by the time someone buys it anyway. We do have a great local brew pub that crafts some excellent beer, but my favorites are always "specials" that run out too quickly and brewed far too infrequently. Of course, the art and science of brewing as well as my affinity for gadgets keeps things interesting, thus my interest in home brewing.

Back