No More Rhino Farts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmc1

Reaction score
Just tape some Activated Carbon cloth around the top of of you airlock or blow off bucket and it absorbs the odor. You can get this cheaply from air condition filters, the small disk water filters that go in coffee makers ect.. :rockin:

Oh yeah! They also have some small ones that are used for the tops of litter boxes. Heck, if it can keep THAT smell out!

I used one from an heating and air filter. The weave wasn't very tight so I doubled it. Works great! Cost me 10 bucks I just removed the carbon layer and used the rest as a filter for my unit. Looks like I will have enough for 10 batches.

These should work to http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004Z4D0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I always get a sly grin when I hear the airlock bubble in my living room. The apfelwein carboy is right behind my Lay-Z-Boy, and I know a rank aroma is on its way when the bubble plops. My bride always leaves when she sees the grin...

I used yeast nutrient and Montrachet yeast in my apfelwine and the room that my brew closet is in smelled horrible for 2 days. I might have to try out this activated carbon cloth thing.

The SO2 that you smell is produced by yeast desperate begging for nutrients, Nitrogen in particular IIRC. Please feed the yeast some DAP and yeast nutrients, not the generic stuff for beer, but something like "Fermaid K" or "superfood" used in wine making. Montrachet is notorious for requiring high levels of Nitrogen and nutrients. I typiclly use wine yeasts requiring low nutrient levels and have never had a problem. <toucheswoodsmiley>

Have a look at yeasts from Lallemand and Lalvin and their nutrient requirements and their propensity to produce SO2.

Lallemand Wine - Yeast Quick Reference Chart
Lalvin Strains

Regards.

.... something like "Fermaid K" or "superfood" used in wine making. ....

I should have been more specific. I use Fermaid K at 1/2 the recommended amount and I never get rhino farts. I didn't realize that it was that much better than the regular yeast nutrient.

Someone once posted having a blow off tube going to some water, bleach and fabric softener. Never tried it because I like the smell of rhino farts, it makes me smell good in comparison.

Back