Feta today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I'm using 2 gallons of fresh goat's milk for feta. It's easy, and fairly quick.

I just peeked into the cheese cave, and I suddenly seem to have more cheese than I realized. I have a 2 pound wheel of monterey Jack that we're cutting into on Memorial Day weekend (it'll be 60 days old then), one pound of manchego (made with goat's milk, not sheep's milk), one pound of gouda, one pound of cabro al vino, and some soft chevre. Finally, I have a cheese pipeline coming along!

JEALOUS!!!!

I drug out the stuff to try to microwave mozz after the mothers day festivities today.

Wish me luck, I may be back in 3 or 4 hours begging for help!

Yoop, Can I hijack your thread?

The mozz is SUPER easy, went from a jung of milk to in my belly in less than an hour.

I didn't add enough salt, so next time, it will be saltier, but other than that, I have a new hobby!!!!!! *happy banana*

The mozz is SUPER easy, went from a jung of milk to in my belly in less than an hour.

I didn't add enough salt, so next time, it will be saltier, but other than that, I have a new hobby!!!!!! *happy banana*

Glad to hear it! Isn't it good tasting, too? We're looking forward to basil and fresh tomatoes to have with the fresh mozzarella, and have caprese salad all the time.

do you have a link for instructions?

Mozzarella Cheese Recipe

Pico, this is basically what I followed, I used an AHBS kit, but the differences are not worth typing.

I am a salty type person, So I would reccomend more salt.

Yooper, Basil & tomatos are exactly what SWMBO did with it, along with some bread. I have my last piece sitting in my lap, and while this mozz is good, I'm thinking of ways to make it better next time. I'm thinking of folding some basil into the mix when I add the salt. Or I may forgo the basil & just go the salt route next time.

How'd the fetta go for yuh Yoop?

Mozzarella Cheese Recipe

Pico, this is basically what I followed, I used an AHBS kit, but the differences are not worth typing.

I am a salty type person, So I would reccomend more salt.

Yooper, Basil & tomatos are exactly what SWMBO did with it, along with some bread. I have my last piece sitting in my lap, and while this mozz is good, I'm thinking of ways to make it better next time. I'm thinking of folding some basil into the mix when I add the salt. Or I may forgo the basil & just go the salt route next time.

How'd the fetta go for yuh Yoop?

The feta went great- it's one of my favorites. I like to brine it and age it a bit, and it's wonderful. I do it in small little slabs, so we can pull out whatever we want as we need it.

I made whey ricotta with the leftover whey (and you can do that with the whey left from mozzarella, too) and that is now in the fridge.

Thanks for the link. You guys are inspiring me to make some cheese, one thread at a time. Looks like I just need some citric acid and some rennet and I'm set.

Thanks for the link. You guys are inspiring me to make some cheese, one thread at a time. Looks like I just need some citric acid and some rennet and I'm set.

Well, just be aware that it's like beermaking. You think you "just need some citric acid and some rennet" and pretty soon you're buying a cheese cave. I'm just saying.

Actually, I saw a book at the library that used Dannon yogurt for many cultures, and had many soft cheeses that didn't even use rennet.

I like Leener's website- they have the kits you can purchase, all the ingredients, but also all of the recipes, so you can see how involved each recipe is before you commit to it.

I'll try to take pictures next time. We have a homemade cheese press (it's hysterically funny- old boards and some dowels, with kitty litter and bags of grain as the weight) and I use my old brewpot for my cheesepot, so I really haven't had to buy much at all as far as ingredients or supplies for cheese. Star-san is a great sanitizer for cheesemaking!

I used star-san... I sprayed my whole kitchen down... of course, with my mozz, it went from a gallon of mile to our bellies in less than 4 hours, so I dont think sainitation was at the top of the worries...

I used star-san... I sprayed my whole kitchen down... of course, with my mozz, it went from a gallon of mile to our bellies in less than 4 hours, so I dont think sainitation was at the top of the worries...

And....for any cheese aged 60 days, you don't even need to used pasteurized milk. But I still sanitize all my cheesemaking stuff, just like for beer. If you're eating the cheese in 45 minutes, though, I guess sanitizing is overkill!

My next project will be goat cheese Havarti, I think. I like to mix up soft cheeses with hard cheeses- as to keep that pipeline going!

Well, just be aware that it's like beermaking. You think you "just need some citric acid and some rennet" and pretty soon you're buying a cheese cave. I'm just saying.

Actually, I saw a book at the library that used Dannon yogurt for many cultures, and had many soft cheeses that didn't even use rennet.

I like Leener's website- they have the kits you can purchase, all the ingredients, but also all of the recipes, so you can see how involved each recipe is before you commit to it.

I'll try to take pictures next time. We have a homemade cheese press (it's hysterically funny- old boards and some dowels, with kitty litter and bags of grain as the weight) and I use my old brewpot for my cheesepot, so I really haven't had to buy much at all as far as ingredients or supplies for cheese. Star-san is a great sanitizer for cheesemaking!

Yes I can see where this is going... perhaps I'll have to consciously keep this as a "mini" hobby so it doesn't get in the way of my maniacal brewing. I'm working with 900 square feet here.

Back