Competing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
I was wondering if folks here put their beer in competitions? What has your expereiences been?

homebrewer_99 said:
I won the Best of Style and Best of Show in the first local HB contest I ever entered. I won out over 100 other entries.

I never entered another contest again....

good job,

what did you enter.

Kai

I have won two regional(read small!) both last year, both first time I ever entered anything. 1st was best of show(Cider) but only against 12 other brews, 2nd go the ginger beer got best of show against 25 or so. Really only enetered for a laugh, but nice to win, at one comp they had a worst of show brew that no-one put their hand up to , glad it wasn't mine don't think my ego would have survived!

I've never entered a contest. I mostly brew recipes I encounter, and less ones I've made from scratch. I've definitely got some improvement to do in the area of recipe formulation (and brewing techniques) before I submit myself to criticism! Every blind hog finds an acorn every now and then, and occasionally I brew something I consider excellent, but it's not the rule.

Alx Rains said:
I have won two regional(read small!) both last year, both first time I ever entered anything. 1st was best of show(Cider) but only against 12 other brews, 2nd go the ginger beer got best of show against 25 or so. Really only enetered for a laugh, but nice to win, at one comp they had a worst of show brew that no-one put their hand up to , glad it wasn't mine don't think my ego would have survived!
That's the way to go. Congrats! :D :mug:

where does one find out where a contest might be in their area? Also, are they generally only for bottled or can you bring a keg and serve that up?

I haven't been brewing long but I entered the Florida State fair and it was a cool expirence, I did it mainly to get feedback on my beers.

Gold Medal - english pale ale - British ESB
Gold Medal - English Brown - Nut Brown
Bronze Medal - Amber Hybrid - Cal Common
Bronze Medal - English Pale Ale - Burton ESB

My pale ale did score a 44 but didn't place....lots of pales in the comp.

Back