Strange Stout Extract Instructions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevoster

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm going to start a Stout extract brew at the weekend. I read the instructions last night and they were a bit odd. A few things jumped out even to me - 1) It said to bottle after 4-6 days in primary 2) Instead of syphoning into the bottling bucket on top of the sugar solution it said to add the solution to the primary container and stir gently, then allow the yeast to settle for a half hour and then bottle.

Now this is only my third brew so I'm not too brave but would I be right in completely ignoring these instructions and brewing as I normally do (leaving in primary for 4 weeks and then racking to bottling bucket and bottling) or is this some special procedure for stout?

Also, on a side note - would you recommend using a secondary for stout?

Thanks guys,
Steve.

Ignore the instructions.

Do what you know to do best.

As for the secondary. If you have the experience decide for your self. If not then generally most brewers would. I wouldn't but that's my choice and suites my style.

If you need to free up the primary then do it.
If you can't be bothered or don't want to then dependant on a few issues including OG then I'd let it sit until you are ready to bottle/keg. (2 to 4 weeks longer if you want to.)

Yea - I had goofy instructions also - I think some instructions are for the feeble minded and do not want to do the research.

By coming here you have proven you know better!

Back