Sanke Kegs, Aluminum or SS?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBRunner

Reaction score
Ok, from what I've read here, kegs (15.5 gl) are either aluminum or SS....

Questions is, how do you tell?:confused:

Is it stamped on the keg? I've read about scratching them, but how do you do that test?

A guy I know has a couple that he says are only a year or 2 old behind his barn......they're mine if I want them.....

So I only can use them if they are SS, right?
Or can you use the Aluminum kegs.....

I'm looking to go AG, and do a 3 keg setup....

thanks for helping out a noob.....:)

Chad

Most of the aluminum kegs I have seen were identified by a dull finish, staight bottom and top with the handle cut out of it. tops, bottoms & handles were also solid where most stainless keg handles and bases were rolled (hollow in the middle * see the post on exploding keggles). Newcastle came in an aluminum european sanke keg (only 13.2 gallons instead of 15.5). Most of the aluminum kegs i came across were european actually. So the big issue for using as a brew kettle isn't so much the metal, but rather the capacity. If you want a 15.5 gallon keg, be sure it's american sanke.

Empty.

The stainless steel half barrel keg will weigh in at approx. 32 to 39 pounds.

The aluminum ones, wont.

Take the kegs regardless of metallurgical signifigance. Aluminum is a great material for heat transfer but horrible for holding it so if you use one for an MLT you might look at insulating it.

If for no other reason, you'll want an idea of the metal to know how best to care for it. Thta is, what chemicals can and cannot be used to clean it. For more on that, see how to brew.

In the US, aluminum kegs were only manufactured for a very short period of time. Odds are, they're stainless. Regardless of the metal composition, take them; they'll be useful.

Back