Started to cider today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Went to the orchard and picked up 5 gals of wonderful unpasteurized, untouched apple cider. Poured 4 3/4 into the carboy, pitched a pack of wyest cider yeast and drank the rest of the cider... which was great. I can already tell this will turn out great.

Question though, I want this to be flat when it's done, so what do I need to add to kill the yeast? Sorbate, but anything else? Also should I add it to the bottling bucket or to the carboy?

You don't need to do anything but wait if you want it to be still (non-carbonated). Give it about a month in primary, a month in secondary, then (optional) let it age for another 3 or 6 months. The yeasties will be long gone by then, and you'll have a nice mellow still new england style hard cider...

Oh, btw Adolphus, it looks like you ferment it out naturally, normally? How do you protect against aceto contamination?

Nothing yet... this is my first batch. Just the cider and a packet of Cotes de Blancs. I'm just leaving it in the carboy(s) with an airlock the entire time, hoping (fingers crossed) that I don't get any infections.

Forgot to mention that if this turns out really dry, I'm going to back sweeten it. I don't want to use lactose or splenda either, either dextrose or sucrose, so I would have to kill off the yeast. Sorbate all I need?

So this turned out about as dry as applewine with wine yeast.....

Sorbate and campden it is!

you don't need both, just one... campden will do the trick... put the campden in, give it another day or two, then add a pound or 2 (a little at a time until desired sweetness is achieved) of whatever sugar you're using...

Back