LHBS in Columbus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chattan

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I live in State College and we don't have a LHBS near by. I will be traveling for Easter to Columbus, OH. Are there any good LHBS in Columbus?
Thank you,
Chattan

I dont know about Columbus (never go into Columbus really), but just north, in Delaware, theres a great shop called Barley Hopsters

Unfortunately none of them are anything special.

There are 3 I know of.

Neal House is on the east side and is a brewery that sells a limited assortment of ingredients for like 8 hours a week. Nice guys but limited selection and their hours are limited.

The winemakers shop in clintonville is insultingly overpriced with horrible service. Avoid. The only upside is they're well stocked because they never sell anything.

My favorite is called gentile's wine seller's in grandview. They have a good selection of wine and beer and an aisle of homebrew supplies. They're not the biggest but the service is great, everything is fresh and if they don't have it they'll get it.

Hey folks,
I live in State College and we don't have a LHBS near by. I will be traveling for Easter to Columbus, OH. Are there any good LHBS in Columbus?
Thank you,
Chattan

Depending on when you're traveling, you're traveling past the Grape and Granary. It's a fine HBS. I wish it were closer to me.

I can't vouch for the store in Deleware. I buy most of my ingredients from the Hops Shack in Bucyrus(about an hour's drive from Columbus)

Hugh_Jass said:
Depending on when you're traveling, you're traveling past the Grape and Granary. It's a fine HBS. I wish it were closer to me.

I can't vouch for the store in Deleware. I buy most of my ingredients from the Hops Shack in Bucyrus(about an hour's drive from Columbus)

Grape and granary is in Akron and is great.

Grape and granary is in Akron and is great.

I would also say that by far Grape and Granary is the best choice. I have a 6 state territory and it is the the best HBS I have found. If your traveling via the turnpike/toll road it is "on the way".

Unfortunately none of them are anything special.

There are 3 I know of.

Neal House is on the east side and is a brewery that sells a limited assortment of ingredients for like 8 hours a week. Nice guys but limited selection and their hours are limited.

The winemakers shop in clintonville is insultingly overpriced with horrible service. Avoid. The only upside is they're well stocked because they never sell anything.

My favorite is called gentile's wine seller's in grandview. They have a good selection of wine and beer and an aisle of homebrew supplies. They're not the biggest but the service is great, everything is fresh and if they don't have it they'll get it.

Neil House Brewery just closed but might have some good liquidating prices if you visit by appt.

I only have experience with Gentile's but they seem pretty good. For the most part a lot of their prices are consistent with online + shipping.

All hops are $2.50 / oz. They carry White Labs liquid and an assortment of dry yeasts. Bulk grains as well as DME - but no LME to my knowledge. Also carry Brewer's Best kits that seem to cycle fairly well. A moderate amount of equipment as well.

Pricing can be a bit confusing as a lot of things aren't very well marked, but their is always a person or two to help if you have any questions.

I just saw Neal house's system posted in the classifieds on probrewer a couple of days ago.

I didn't know if they were closing or moving up. I'm a little sad they closed since I'm not a huge fan of CBC or Barley's and Elevator can be a little hit or miss.

Latest posts

Back