Munich Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I was planning on doing a SMaSH recipe with Munich and Belma today. Reading up on Munich (bought some on a whim) the wiki says that it is generally used in conjunction with another malt to increase its conversion (or something like that)

My Question: Would doing a SMaSH with Munich (I have like 10lbs) be a waste?
Would I be better off adding a few lbs of pale malt extract to make it a viable brew?

Hey guys,
Reading up on Munich (bought some on a whim) the wiki says that it is generally used in conjunction with another malt to increase its conversion (or something like that)

What kind of Munich malt did you buy? Real Munich malt, that is German Munich malt, is a true base malt and will work just fine @ 100% of the grist. Domestic Munich malt is essentially a specialty malt.

Domestic Munich malt is essentially a specialty malt.
Briess 10L Munich has a diastatic power of 40 and can be used at 100% of the grain bill, similar to Weyermann Munich I.

Briess 20L Munich has a diastatic power of 20 and can be used at about 80% of your grain bill. Again, similar to Weyermann Munich II.

edit to say:
"Similar" in that it'll make beer, not saying it'll be nearly the same or as good as using the real thing.

backpedal.gif

I'm pretty sure it's real, my LHBS guy is pretty damn knowledgeable and he had it as one of the 4 base malts that he has available in big bins in the store. I noticed Munich in the rack of specialties as well, so I'd be assuming the specialty version he has is one of the 10L or 20L versions.

Back