Thinking about going pro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

Reaction score
Long story short, I met a guy who seems to be solid who wants to put a micro brew in his bar. He and I seem to get along well and he offered me 100,000 to start one.

I've read Hoss's thread about his nano and It's eye opening in alot of ways. There is a ton I'm over looking and I know it. What are the must reads?

It's a huge move and I haven't committed to anything at this point.

Thoughts?

He's putting up the money??? Do you have any skin in the game? If not, why are you even asking??? Get brewing.

So will you have intrest in the business? How do you get paid for the 10000000000000 hours your going to invest? Do you have the buisness, building, brewing and managing skills to put this together? Just a few things to ask yourself. Answer them well and for the questions you answer no to, find help and.....
Go get em' tiger!

Cheers
Jay

Lots of questions--
Not to discourage you but $100,000 is not a lot of money to start a "microbrewery" although others have done it with a lot of sweat equity of course.

How much room is there for brewing equiment and fermenters and grain, refrig, yeast lab and gear?
Will $100k be enough money to buy a big enough system so you are not doing two brews a day?
How are you getting paid for your time? If no salary, can you live on savings for 6-12 months?
Is the place zoned right?
Does it have a good water source and waste-water disposal?
Who pays for the grain, hops and yeast, plus other items like-- Insurance? Workers comp? advertising? Brewing licenses? Permits? Construction required for install?
Do you have any experience brewing on a multi-barrel system?
Do you have 2012-2013 harvest season hops on contract?
How many kegs can you afford to buy, and who cleans them?
You get the idea. Read pro brewer business
books. good luck!
Wendy

I slowed him down. I want to get to know him better than I do before we move forward with anything. I'd be starting from scratch with no experience. I can see it being tough a long time.

Still.

Back