Any brewers in the Bristow/Manassas Va area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem man!!! So sad I didn't taste the ruination clone! Let me know when you want to brew up some Two-hearted... We'll get together and compare brews.

Sounds great Scott!

Ruination was brought to the gathering but was Young. We need to give it till next time, it ll be super good by then.

Two-hearted is on my schedule but cant make it till later on, my brew schedule is packed.

This is what I got so far for my Two Hearted clone:

2 row 77%
Vienna 15.4%
Carapils 3.8%
C-20 3.8%

Centennial 60 38 IBU
Centennial 15 19 IBU
Centennial 5 8 IBU
Centennial 0 0 IBU
Centennial DH 7 days

Yeast S-04, dont want it to dry up with US-05.

OG 1.064 FG 1.012
*If you have made the two hearted before let me know if this recipe is in line with yours.
-------------------
Super impressed with that Imperial Red I stopped and inquired about. Was that Sean make that one? I cant take it out of my mind. It was exceptionally well balanced for a brew that big. Wondering if he could give pointers or share recipe.

Looking forward to May 9th, we ll have some really good brews to sample.

Happy brewing to ya.

PS: Brewing Sublimely Self Righteous Clone as we speak; "Massive" is an underestimation here... Mash tun is full and that's a rare thing.

Castle; I just use the recipe from Northern Brewer's clone, it really is a dead-ringer. It's even better if you can harvest up some Bell's yeast. if you want I can probably bring you a slant at the next meeting.

Castle; I just use the recipe from Northern Brewer's clone, it really is a dead-ringer. It's even better if you can harvest up some Bell's yeast. if you want I can probably bring you a slant at the next meeting.

Scott, I would love that. I have not had much success harvesting yeast. Have tried getting some pacman yeast from some Rogue bottles but again with no success. Either yeast strains much appreciated.

Remind me to bring you some (super young) Sublimely self righteous i just made today. Massive brew with massive hops and malt. Killed my efficiency though, got only 1.078 OG instead of 1.083. Still should get about 8.1 ABV.

Also, have just made some Castle Black Pale Ale, you might like it. Its just a simple everyday summer pale ale. Sample is yours as well.

See you next meeting Scott and happy brewing!

Caution don't harvest from two hearted...the yeast are too stressed...way too much grapefruit. Use bells amber, it's either a close or the same strain but a lower abv.

Unless of course you like grapefruit.... Which isn't a bad thing. My first harvest came from two hearted, though I didn't harvest that yeast there wasn't any real noticeable diffence between that and subsequent harvests from other bottles that I harvested, used, washed, and slanted. I think the mass amounts of centennial in this recipe lends to some grapefruit regardless of the yeast strain. The batch that I brought to the meeting was fermented with White Labs Danstar Nottingham which I've had banked since it came out last summer.

Unless of course you like grapefruit.... Which isn't a bad thing. My first harvest came from two hearted, though I didn't harvest that yeast there wasn't any real noticeable diffence between that and subsequent harvests from other bottles that I harvested, used, washed, and slanted. I think the mass amounts of centennial in this recipe lends to some grapefruit regardless of the yeast strain. The batch that I brought to the meeting was fermented with White Labs Danstar Nottingham which I've had banked since it came out last summer.

I love the grapefruit hops, no objection here.-

REMINDER! We will be having our second homebrew club meeting on Wednesday at 7:00 pm at the Victory Lakes Clubhouse! Come out and be a part if you can!!!

Follow up. Tomorrow night at the VL Clubhouse in Bristow Va. Second meeting for our homebrew club! Be there! Pm me if you need directions

Brewing in Culpeper VA here. Bristow is only about 40 minutes up Rt.28 from me. Details on your club meetings?

The club meets the second Wed. of each month at the Victory Lakes clubhouse in Bristow, VA from 7pm to 9pm. We typically have about 15 members show up. This upcoming meeting on June 13th will have a presentation about Mashing in Igloo Coolers, then IPA tasting (so bring an IPA if you have one)

The beer for the July meeting is a Saison, we're basically brewing/tasting styles to bring to each meeting.

The club meets the second Wed. of each month at the Victory Lakes clubhouse in Bristow, VA from 7pm to 9pm. We typically have about 15 members show up. This upcoming meeting on June 13th will have a presentation about Mashing in Igloo Coolers, then IPA tasting (so bring an IPA if you have one)

The beer for the July meeting is a Saison, we're basically brewing/tasting styles to bring to each meeting.

Cant wait to taste your IPA Scott. I might bring sth in that category, we ll see. In any case, wont come empty handed!

Not to steel the thunder of this new club, but Cock and Bowl in Occoquan has an informal get together for local home brewers once a quarter. The next meeting is Wednesday, June 6. We sample our stuff and the owners usually toss in a brew or two as well. Not a big group, but we can get there, and the food (Belgium) is not bad either.

Sheldon

I heard about this; Derek mentioned something about them letting you bring a keg and they'll put it on tap for the evening?

I may see if Kathy and I can swing over for this!

Scott, et al;

I do not believe they have a tap at the restaurant. Everyone brings some bottled home brew to sample. The owner (Mike) brought out a few bottles of really aged (and good) barleywine a while ago.

hope you can make it.

Sheldon

It's that time again! The Downright Obsessed Hombrewers aka DOH! Is meeting at the Victory Lakes Clubhouse in Bristow Va Wednesday @7:00 until 9:00. Come on out if you can!

1GR8DA said:
It's that time again! The Downright Obsessed Hombrewers aka DOH! Is meeting at the Victory Lakes Clubhouse in Bristow Va Wednesday @7:00 until 9:00. Come on out if you can!

Doh! When is the next meetup? :)

ScottSingleton said:
Wed, aug 8th. 7pm

Great! My first batch will not be ready, but I will bring some good Michigan beer. I moved here from MI a little while back. How many people generally attend? Thanks for the info.

I'd say we typically have between 10-15 people at each meeting. This month, being a typical vacation month, will probably be pretty light.

When's the next meeting? I live in the Glenkirk area about three miles from Victory Lakes. Started brewing in 1991 and do 10 gallon all grain batches.

Back