Did i kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
I was in a rush and put my yeast in at about 100 degrees. Its been three days and the airlock has yet to start doing its thing. Also i have been keeping my fermentor in a closet that is relativly cool. Could that be the prob.? help a newbie out!!!

100 degrees shouldn't totally kill the yeast. Maybe you have an air leak around your bucket seal? Do you have any krausen, or other signs of fermentation? If you have a hydrometer, go ahead and take a gravity reading. If it's changed since you started, it's fine. If it hasn't changed, then you might have to repitch some yeast.

If you answer those few questions, I'll have some more ideas for you.

Lorena

I checked the seal of the lid and it is good. I re pitched the yeast today. And it did appear that there was krausen. I was thinking maybe the temp in the closet was cool there for the yeast werent as active.

Dry yeasts will recover from 100F, some are actually best re-hydrated at 100-105F. Sounds like you shocked the yeast rather hard. What is "cool"? If it's under 60F, you might have problems.

The low 60s are okay, but they will lead to a slower, less active fermentation. I try to keep my beers in the mid to upper 60s during fermentaion, but you should be okay. It'll just take longer.

Back