Coconut Rum Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakead

Reaction score
I am attempting a coconut rum porter recipe and am ready to rack onto the coconut for a few days. My question is, should I use sweetened or unsweetened coconut? I just got back from the store and sweetened was the only one i saw. What would the difference be?

Also, here is a list of ingredients I found from some on sale at Amazon:

Coconut, Sugar, Water, Propylene Glycol (Preserves Freshness), Salt, Sodium Metabisulfite (Retains Coconut Whiteness).

Last edited by a moderator:
The washing portion sounds like an idea, but than again who know if it works. I suppose I will just get my lazy self up and go look for some unsweetened.

I'd try to get some unsweetened and then toast it. That said I just read a post by the bronze medalist in SHV at this year's NHC final round, he swears by 2 drops of coconut extract per bottle...

shoot i was going to make a coconut rum porter. what was the recipe you used?

It's the Austin Home Brew toasted coconut porter recipe that I have since lost (hence the question). I plan on adding anywhere from 1L to 1.5L of rum at bottling.

It's the Austin Home Brew toasted coconut porter recipe that I have since lost (hence the question). I plan on adding anywhere from 1L to 1.5L of rum at bottling.

That sounds like it might be too much rum to me, I'd add it a cup at a time until you get to the right level.

I love the Toasted Coconut Porter from AHS. Here is the extract recipe:
I have always thought about adding something else to it, like Rum, but never have.

OG: 1.058
FG: 1.014

3/4lb Flaked Oats
1lb Chocolate Malt
1/2lb Pale Ale Malt
10oz Crystal 90L Malt

7lb Amber Extract

1oz Brewers Gold 60min
1/2oz Kent Golding 60min
1/2oz Kent Golding 10min

Did you add the rum to this recipe? I've got the same recipe and was thinking of adding rum-soaked oak chips to the secondary. Some Sailor Jerry to be exact. I've added half a shot of it to a glass of the Sierra Nevada Porter and it was pretty damned tasty, so I figure the rum/oak should be pretty awesome too.

Back