Keg it early or late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarith

Reaction score
Background:
I have a very simple American Light from an extract kit that I brewed this past Saturday. The hope is to serve this beer on New Years Eve. I went with a simple light beer(~1.03x) in hopes of a quick final product . I used WL01 with a 1 liter starter and primary fermentation was quick and seems complete. I am new to kegging and will be kegging this for the party. SWMBO should have gotten the strong hint on the keezer christmas gift.

Question:
Would the suggestion be to leave it in the primary until the last moment, appears to be two days to force carb from previous post, or transfer it early to the keg and let carbonation happen for a week or so? Or even add a secondary in there for a few days?

Background:
I have a very simple American Light from an extract kit that I brewed this past Saturday. The hope is to serve this beer on New Years Eve. I went with a simple light beer(~1.03x) in hopes of a quick final product . I used WL01 with a 1 liter starter and primary fermentation was quick and seems complete. I am new to kegging and will be kegging this for the party. SWMBO should have gotten the strong hint on the keezer christmas gift.

Question:
Would the suggestion be to leave it in the primary until the last moment, appears to be two days to force carb from previous post, or transfer it early to the keg and let carbonation happen for a week or so? Or even add a secondary in there for a few days?

I wouldn't count on it carbing in 2 days, you risk overcarbing. If it's done, (only a hydrometer can tell) I would keg it and let it age in there. I would also use the set it and forget it method of carbing.

On a 103? I would be testing the gravity now to determine my attenuation, and whether I'm close to TG. With a 1 liter starter on a 103, I would guarantee you are there already. With that gravity, a stater isn't even necessary. Test your gravity now. If you are in range, cold crash it for 3 days. Rack it to the kegs on top of a prepared gelatin solution, and force carb the keg. That beer should easily be ready by Christmas.

Leave it in the primary until the weekend after Christmas, then rack it to the keg. After racking it to the keg hit it with 30psi and pop it in the kegerator. Give it overnight to chill and when you get to it that next day shake the bejezuss out of it to "force carb" it and leave it on the gas. Then set to your serving temp ~10psi and let it sit for a day or so to settle out all the sediment in suspension. Then comes my favorite part... ...wait for it... ...pull a pint an DRINK IT!!!

This is usually what I do if I need it quickly, YMMV.

I wouldn't count on it carbing in 2 days, you risk overcarbing. If it's done, (only a hydrometer can tell) I would keg it and let it age in there. I would also use the set it and forget it method of carbing.

I disagree. I force carb every keg, and they always come out perfect. Set the regulator to 30 psi and lay the keg flat. Rock it back and forth for 5 minutes. Purge it, set the psi to 10, and take a sample. Repeat until your carbonation is at the desired level. Typically, it will only take 3 cycles. Now, I usually just do the first cycle for 10 minutes & the second cycle for 5 minutes...I'll let it sit overnight, test it the next day, and depending on where it is, maybe do a 3-5 minute cycle.

Thanks guys. I was wondering about any negative effects of the force carbing but it appears 3-1 in favor. Normally I won't be in a situation to be rushed, but I wanted to give the bud light drinkers at the party something to drink and not deplete my small and precious pipeline. The pipeline is the hardest part about being a new brewer imo. You guys make everything else pretty easy to understand.

The starter was more for my amusement. I like the toys of stirplates and DYI projects almost more than the beer. I said almost.

I disagree. I force carb every keg, and they always come out perfect. Set the regulator to 30 psi and lay the keg flat. Rock it back and forth for 5 minutes. Purge it, set the psi to 10, and take a sample. Repeat until your carbonation is at the desired level. Typically, it will only take 3 cycles. Now, I usually just do the first cycle for 10 minutes & the second cycle for 5 minutes...I'll let it sit overnight, test it the next day, and depending on where it is, maybe do a 3-5 minute cycle.

Good for you. For every one person who does this, there's 10 threads on "why am I pouring foam". I would never suggest shaking, rolling or otherwise molesting a keg to carbonate it.

Good for you. For every one person who does this, there's 10 threads on "why am I pouring foam". I would never suggest shaking, rolling or otherwise molesting a keg to carbonate it.

but if it is not unwanted contact?

i set to 30psi and rock the top of the keg arround... (to keep beer outta my gas lines) for 10 minutes. drop to 12psi and let sit for 4 or 5 days. but all my kegs are in a 50F-ish garage floor.

That's like saying, "I would never suggest taking a shower...you might slip and fall...take a bath instead." If you do it right and you do it carefully, taking a shower is safe and effective. Same with force carbing. May the force be with you.

The only thing I'll add is keg and force carbonate 3-4 days before, 2 days is pushing it for the beer to adjust to the pH change.

Just keg it this weekend if it's ready and set to 10 psi and forget it! Otherwise we'll be here to tell you we told you so. That's right, a kegging noob and shaking method equals foam

I'm using the set it and forget it method for a similar batch as well. What I've done to this point is racked to the keg and chilled it in the frig to the low 40's. Next I put 25 psi on it and plan to maybe stop or lower the psi later tonight (2 days). Im not ready to drink this brew yet for I want to condition it for a week or two. Say I stop carbing later tonight and then store keg at room temp for a week or two. How happens in this case?

Back