Orange Peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What exactly does sweet orange peel add? Also, when you put it into the boil is it best to use a strainer bag or is it fine if this stuff ends up in the fermenter?

I've used both as well...

From Norther Brewers website via google.

SWEET ORANGE PEEL 1 oz. $2.40 Aurantium dulcis pericarpium.
While a cousin to the Florida orange, this sweet variety will not give your beer a metallic taste like the domestic version. If you're familiar with the taste of Cointreau or Grand Marnier, then you will be thrilled with the flavor that sweet orange peel can add to your Belgian style strong ales and special holiday brews.

BITTER ORANGE PEEL 1 oz. $2.40 Aurantium amarae pericarpium.
Also called "Curaçau orange peel", these green-gray peels are one of the most popular specialty herbs on the market. They are used commercially by domestic brewers to duplicate the beer styles that put Belgium on the brewing map. While not very bitter, they are a key ingredient in Belgian style white beers.

Also, when you put it into the boil is it best to use a strainer bag or is it fine if this stuff ends up in the fermenter?

I've never used a bag for them. I just throw them in the boil pot with 15-20 minutes left to go. I don't know what kind of system you have, but I doubt you're going to get much, if any, in the fermenter. Even if you do, it ain't gonna hurt nothin'

Back