Brew #2, Few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
Ok, My first brew is in the bottles, I'll be cracking the first tomorrow night to see how its coming along(only one week). I'm finally going to actually be able to RDWHAHB.

Anyway, this next kit is a true kit not one of those 20 minute boil kits so I have a few questions. Its an Oldcastle Brown ale.

Are there any secrets to steeping grains, besides not letting them boil? my kit calls for 10-30 minutes(at 155 F) so I'm assuming the 30 minutes is better.

I'll then be adding the DME and boiling for 60 minutes.

I'll be pitching dry yeast(after cooling of course), should I only be rehydrating it or would adding a little malt extract to it help the little guys?

then I'll be racking over to my BB and adding the yeast and aerating it. Should I add the yeast before or after I shake the crap out of it? and considering I didn't do this on my first batch, do I just put the rubber stopper in? or will wort fly out the little hole?

Ok, thats it, incredibly long.

I'd appreciate people pointing out any errors/advice they have on any parts in that process.

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate all the friendly help people have given me. It has not only taught me tons but I attribute any success in my current brew and any going forward strictly to the help you all have given me.

Ok, My first brew is in the bottles, I'll be cracking the first tomorrow night to see how its coming along(only one week). I'm finally going to actually be able to RDWHAHB.

congrats! It's a good time in life to be able to RDWHAHB!

I'm assuming the 30 minutes is better.

Just keep the temp where it should be and you'll be okay

I'll be pitching dry yeast(after cooling of course), should I only be rehydrating it or would adding a little malt extract to it help the little guys?

Dry has all the help it needs - just follow the instructions on the packet and you're on your way! :mug:

One thing to add: If you are using a bag for your steeping grains, it is possible to get unwanted tannins in your beer if you squeeze the bag. The theory goes that you should just lift it out and let it drip, then proceed. But, it probably won't effect your beer all that much if you do give it a little squeeze. It's just not encouraged.

Col224 - May I just add a few things.
Steeping, adds freshness, flavor, and a little fermentation if done right. Best practice is to heat the water to 150F, remove from heat, add the grain bag and let it sit. You can throw into the oven preheated but a good pot will not loose more than a few degrees F in 30 minutes. You can shake rattle and roll the bag to get it mixed up and in contact with the water, but do not squeeze the bag. You can heat up some water to 180F - 190F, and rinse the bag if you have a safe strainer or something to support it.
DO NOT take chances with water that hot.

Remove the pot from the heat while you add the extract.
When I did extract brews, I liked to use the late extract method, basically add 2 lbs of the extract for the 60 minute boil, add hops, etc, then add the rest of the extract at 15-10 minutes. You can do a search on late extract addition for more information.

Yeast, depends on what your using. If it recommends re-hydration do it, if not just pitch it dry.

Best of luck, and welcome to homebrewing.

You don't have to rack to your fermenter- you could pour it in, and it helps aerate it at the same time. Aerate first, then pitch your yeast. Dry yeast should be rehydrated according to the package directions, or sprinkled on dry. Don't add malt extract or sugar to the rehydrating water.

Yooper, was was only going to rack because I was going to use a BB for a primary and don't have a funnel, though I may just pick up a funnel at walmart.

Thanks everyone! I'll let you know how it goes.

I am also a newbie. I always rack, and have been told to rack wort into primary due to an extensive amount of trub getting into the fermenter. I always thought that was bad thing. I guess it would just settle to the bottom. After I rack it, I give it a good stir to aerate.

Kauai Kahuna, I looked into that late addition of extract. There is one thing I'm confused about. If late addition reduces extract twang and makes it lighter, what are the negatives of it? I would assume if there were only positives, then it would just be standard practice to add extract late in your boil.

If you're using a BB you'll either need a drilled stopper or a carboy cap. Both will need an airlock to let the CO2 out during fermentation.

Turns out I Can't use my BB because its only 5 gallons. This according to midwest supplies. I'm still going to use it for a secondary though.

Old Castle clone went well and my, though still green, first batch is really really good. Why didn't I do this sooner.

Thanks again everyone for all the help.

I did a 60 minute rolling boil after steeping the grains for 25 minutes at about 150-160 degrees. I added the target hops(bittering) for 60 minutes and the kent goldings(aroma) for 10. I also did the late extract add thing, I put half in first and half in for the last 15 minutes.

I iced it down in about 15 minutes using 4 bags of ice, salt and the "double spoon method".

I rehydrated the yeast for 30 minutes, and pitched it at about 70-75 degrees. I shook the crap out of my bucket, then pitched the yeast, then shook it again. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to shake it before or after I added the yeast so I did both.(What Am I supposed to do here?)

my OG was 1.060.

its currently sitting in the corner of my room, and I'm just waiting for it to start up. In the meantime I'm gonna read some John Palmer.

If late addition reduces extract twang and makes it lighter, what are the negatives of it? I would assume if there were only positives, then it would just be standard practice to add extract late in your boil.

The only real downside is yet one more step in your brewing process to mess up on. Some people have even forgot to do it.
For me, I did it to get the biggest bang from my hops, for me it was a significant increase in bitterness and flavor, and I think it did help in the final taste.
But to be honest moving to all grain was bigger, second only to using a temperature control of my primary fermentation.
It would be a good thing to try on a recipe you like and are making again, then you have a chance to see how it works for your taste.
Best of luck,

Back