Another Work Realted Rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
So just some background, I design lighting, fire alarm and security systems for off-site data storage facilities. I'm not a certified designer with any formal training, 98% self-taught.

Anyway, I've asked my work numerous times to get me training, I've provided them with various course information and have even broken down the costs for the training and why it would benefit me to take courses geared toward the work I do everyday for the last 2 years.

Recently I was asked to produce a photometric drawings for a warehouse. Photometric drawings basically tell you that if you use "X" lighting fixture you'll achieve "Y" light levels in the area.

Anyway, not only did I have to find this program, I had to teach myself how to use it. I received 0 feedback, 0 training and on a recent job I have just received 8, count them EIGHT emails from 4 different people questioning the readings and questioning how I put together the drawings and whether or not I know how to use the program (note: none of them know how to use it).

I'm just pissy, I ask for training and receive none.... I ask over and over again and yet all I get in return is bullsh*t.

Seriously, I can't wait to hear whether or not I made the cut to become one step closer to enter law enforcement b/c I'm seriously about to tell everyone at work to f*ck off and either do it themselves or get a "professional" to do it since I'm just a retard with a computer.

You have every right to be pissed. Problem is, it's not just you it's an epidemic. Your problem is your resourcefulness and ability to train yourself and the company has found that paying for you to be trained and the time away from work to it, aren't necessary since you will figure out how to do the job anyway. Sucks being good, doesn't it? I used to do clinical support for the #1 nuclear medicine imaging manufacturer in the world. They would release a new product or new version of software and did we get training on it first? Nope! We learned from the customers more than we learned from the company. Used to piss us off. We'd eventually get tidbits of information mostly because we'd go and demand it. Hang in there, if nothing more, it's a paycheck. :)

Document what projects you have done, cuz if you have to leave that company, and have no formal training you can prove, your actual work experience is all you have, and if you can't prove it, you start all over again with the next company.

Document what projects you have done, cuz if you have to leave that company, and have no formal training you can prove, your actual work experience is all you have, and if you can't prove it, you start all over again with the next company.

+1! I do this as well. I just consider my company to be cheap a$% bas#)(ds.... Not to mention, despite our small mailbox limitation size, I keep (archive) almost every email now. Never know when that CYA (Cover Your Ahem) email will come in handy- saved me a few times, plus I had the gratification of rubbing it in their faces :)

I save every email I receive...

I have proof of me asking for training and I have proof of offers they have given me that they have gone back on as well (like offer to cover my health insurance in full and then decided to stop paying it for me about 2 months ago, offered me a weekly allowance and then cut back on the amount that was decided on, but that's a whole other thread).

The thing is, they paid for a manufacturer to come to our facility to train us on this new type of fire detection system, they flew in all these hot-shots clients of ours, had catered breakfast and lunch and then took everyone out to a fancy dinner at a country club... spent a TON of money for hotel rooms and such...

only to find out that we aren't going to use this new detection system.

so the only Certification I have through work, I don't use. A complete waste.

And I'm talking courses for $150-250 that will get my foot in the door and at least give me some resources to go back on, it's not like I'm asking for them to train the whole company on something we won't use.

I hear ya brauhaus. The problem is, especially in today's economy, unless it's required by law or significantly marketable for the company, most private companies are very resistant to paying for employee training.

The thing is, they paid for a manufacturer to come to our facility to train us on this new type of fire detection system, they flew in all these hot-shots clients of ours, had catered breakfast and lunch and then took everyone out to a fancy dinner at a country club... spent a TON of money for hotel rooms and such...

Are you 100% sure about your company paying for this? This sounds like something the manufacturer would foot most of the bill on.

I hear ya brauhaus. The problem is, especially in today's economy, unless it's required by law or significantly marketable for the company, most private companies are very resistant to paying for employee training.

Are you 100% sure about your company paying for this? This sounds like something the manufacturer would foot most of the bill on.

no, we flipped the bill, I remember my boss bitching about how much money he was spending for the training event when he knew we weren't going to try to market the product.

we had the event b/c one of our clients wants to utilize this new detection system and our company wanted to play nice-nice.

Sounds like my job- Just fired a lot of people, and are stretching everyone else thin expecting them to make up for it, but all of the presidents/managers are off all week flying to multiple destinations (from Wisconsin, New York, Georgia, Kansas to name a few) in 'conferences'. Flights, hotels, rentals, meals, expenditures... Did I mention no overtime what so ever for any hourly employees and overtime out the but for salary? HAH!

Back