Water to grain ratio "1st all grain brew"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaybrinks

Reaction score
I am brewing a Cream Ale in the morning.

7lbs Rahr 2-row Pale
.75 lbs Gabrinus Honey Malt
.25 lbs dingemans Biscuit

hops: 1 oz Cluster 60min

Yeast #1056 American Ale yeast smack pack

I also have 2 pounds of flaked Maize. How much should I use?

When considering the water to grain ratio, do you include the weight of the Maize?

Thanks for your help.

I am brewing a Cream Ale in the morning.

7lbs Rahr 2-row Pale
.75 lbs Gabrinus Honey Malt
.25 lbs dingemans Biscuit

hops: 1 oz Cluster 60min

Yeast #1056 American Ale yeast smack pack

I also have 2 pounds of flaked Maize. How much should I use?

When considering the water to grain ratio, do you include the weight of the Maize?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, when you figure your water/grain ratio, you include all of the grains. I'd probably use a pound of the maize- that's what I use for a similar recipe of mine, and I like it. It lightens it up without any "corn" flavor.

Thanks YooperBrew,

I have been building my rig for the last month and a half...haven't brewed anything with it yet. I am excited about my first try tomorrow. I will get up early I think....gotta watch football too!!

Thanks again!

This recipe calls for :

122 degrees for 20 min
153 degrees for 60 min
170 degrees for 10 min

I am using a converted cooler for my MLT. Can I actually do these temp changes, or should I just mash @ 153 degrees. I plan on fly sparging.

Thanks

Sounds good to me!!!

I wasn't sure if you could even step mash in a cooler?

Thanks Bobby_M

Sure you can, but you'd have to either infuse boiling water to make adjustments (for an ultimate loss of efficiency). The other option is decoction where you draw off, apply heat and return back to the mash.

Jaybrinks - decoction is rather easy, it just adds some time and effort to the mash. I agree it is not worth doing for your first all grain, it will turn out just fine. Just take lots of notes, it helps to make adjustments later if needed.

Best of luck and I hope you have a great time doing it.

Well, I think it went pretty good. I started at 8am and finished @ 1pm. I enjoyed myself and only had one moment of panic, when I opened the valve from the MLT and nothing came out. Turns out my pump was to high. Lowered it a few inches and it took off....Sparged away! I ended up batch sparging. I did an iodine test on the first runnings and it stayed dark...no purple.

The recipe called for an OG of 1043. I got a reading of 1050 going from the boil kettle via CFC to the fermenter @ 64 degrees. I still haven't learned how to compute efficiency yet. When I tasted it from the hydro, it tasted pretty good...but did have a bit of a bitter bite to it.

Anyhoo...thanks for the help everyone...I enjoyed my first brew day on my rig. Can't wait to do it again. I learned a lot from actually doing it. I can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Back