Alternative conditioning vessel...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lordyosch

Reaction score
I would like to make batches of finished beer in containers of about 1 gallon. -I reckon I could drink a gallon in a sensible amount of time without risking the beer oxidising (and without having to get help to drink 40 pints!)

Would a plastic demijohn be suitable? Or are they strictly for fermentation with an air lock?

I've looked into 1G carboys through various suppliers and they all seem pretty pricey, from £20-£80 depending on material/manufacturer.

Thanks

Jay

Are you wanting to just condition in 1 gallon containers, or actually bottle and serve in them? Plastic demijohns and other fermentation vessels are (usually) not built to withstand CO2 pressure and will explode if you seal em up. There's some stainless steel setups that will hold pressure (Wortmonger has an excellent write up on that) but generally it's a big no.

Don't you guys have 1 gallon jugs of apple juice over there? That's what I buy when I want some gallon glass containers. They run about $8 US, not sure what that is in your funny money :p

Oh and welcome to the forum!

I use 1 gallon apple cider jugs, but they won't hold pressure. I doubt the demijohn would either. If I want to carbonate, I'll use 2L soda bottles.

Latest posts

Back