I shake my head at my child

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
It's a nice mid-70s day. I got nothing going on for a couple hours, so I decide to wash a couple cars.

My 7 year old daughter wants to help. I tell her if she wants to get wet, she has to put on her bathing suit. She says, "No, I want to spray the hose." I say "Okay" and we start washing the car.

I quickly discover the phrase "Point it at the car." means nothing to her until its too late. It goes down like this:

"Point it at the car. Point it at the car. Point it at the car."

Face full of water.

"Sorry Daddy."

Repeat.

It's a nice mid-70s day. I got nothing going on for a couple hours, so I decide to wash a couple cars.

My 7 year old daughter wants to help. I tell her if she wants to get wet, she has to put on her bathing suit. She says, "No, I want to spray the hose." I say "Okay" and we start washing the car.

I quickly discover the phrase "Point it at the car." means nothing to her until its too late. It goes down like this:

Face full of water.

"Sorry Daddy."

Repeat.

that sounds like my 5 y/o. except he doesn't say sorry, he laughs like a mad scientist.

Ohh man I LOVE IT!!!! Been there for sure...

Gotta love those days... Just for the record, at 7 she did it on purpose...That and your wife probably set her up! LOL

Thanks for the laugh!

Cheers
Jay

Not that I wouldn't put it past her, after all she describes herself as one of the three class clowns of her class, but I think it was more her watching it "rain" on the car, then the basketball hoop, then the garage... And I just happened to be in the line of fire.

I'm just making a conscious effort not to be like my dad. My dad is a really great guy, but helping him consists mainly of hanging out while he does the work.

BTW, If anyone wants to add to this thread with stories of their kids, feel free.

You've got to get her back when she least expects it. Do it! And tell us about it!

You've got to get her back when she least expects it. Do it! And tell us about it!

When my daughter was 9 she thought that doing the same thing would be real funny.... So me, being a good sport, when she was in the the shower I set up a nice fermenting bucket of water and ICE.... Turned off the hot water at the hot water tank..... and over the shower curtain went 3 gallons of ice water on top of an unsuspecting 9 year old, man did she SCREAM BLOODY MURDER ..Bahhaaaaaa It was funny as all get out! She, 6years later wont let me forget it..Ohhh man the funny kid stories I could tell... I have 3 of them little buggers!

Cheers
Jay

My oldest daughter once pierced my ear for father's day -- with a fish hook! She was no more that 10 years old. She asked for help with her bait, and when I was done, she stood right behind me and casted -- embedding the hook past the barb into the top of my left ear. Didn't hurt until my buddy had to remove it later! Not really mischievous, but one of those daddy-daughter moments...and funny as hell!

My oldest daughter once pierced my ear for father's day -- with a fish hook! She was no more that 10 years old. She asked for help with her bait, and when I was done, she stood right behind me and casted -- embedding the hook past the barb into the top of my left ear. Didn't hurt until my buddy had to remove it later! Not really mischievous, but one of those daddy-daughter moments...and funny as hell!

You didn't live in Huntington Beach at the time, did you? I had to pull a fish hook out of a friend's ear a few years ago.

I think I am more ready for kids than I ever have been. I know this because I thought this story was super cute. 8 years ago I would read this and thought "and you do this to yourself why?"

I think I am more ready for kids than I ever have been. I know this because I thought this story was super cute. 8 years ago I would read this and thought "and you do this to yourself why?"

Do it! The world needs more Creamy Goodness!

My almost 5 year old is generally a pretty good kid. He usually had a pretty good disposition and has never been a trouble maker (his 3 year old brother on the other hand.. not so much). I let my wife sleep in on Sunday and I was downstairs with the boys while my wife and our 3 month old daughter slept upstairs.

My son asked me to fill his cup up with juice or something (can't remember) and I told him "Sorry buddy, you need to finish the water in your cup before you can have juice". He complained about it and I told him "Hey, water or nothing right now, I told you the rules if you want a juice" and he got mad at me.. his response?

"I don't like your stinky rules!" He talks back from time to time, but this was really the first time he has expressed himself more colorfully. As a dad, I almost had to run away to hide my laughter.

Protip- Don't ever tell your son to watch his aim while he's still aiming. All you'll get is an inquisitive 'what?' reply to go with your newly wet shoes and pants...

You have to do it while you are still "insane". Sane people don't have children, on in my case, adopt.

And if you want more than one, they need to be less than 5 years apart. If you get one through bottles, diapers, and daycare before the second one is born, then you'll realize how crazy your life has been and you won't want to do it again.

When I agreed to adoption, I had cold sweats every night for a week because I couldn't imagine being a father. After she was born and came home with us, I couldn't imagine not being a father.

Every once in a while I see a cute baby and think "I'd like another one." Then a couple days later I see a 3 year old getting on its parent's last nerve and I think "No chance in hell am I doing that again."

You have to do it while you are still "insane". Sane people don't have children, on in my case, adopt.

And if you want more than one, they need to be less than 5 years apart. If you get one through bottles, diapers, and daycare before the second one is born, then you'll realize how crazy your life has been and you won't want to do it again.

When I agreed to adoption, I had cold sweats every night for a week because I couldn't imagine being a father. After she was born and came home with us, I couldn't imagine not being a father.

Every once in a while I see a cute baby and think "I'd like another one." Then a couple days later I see a 3 year old getting on its parent's last nerve and I think "No chance in hell am I doing that again."

Heck, if you can, have them about 2 years apart. My boys are 21 months apart and it's cool to see how much closer they are than I am with my siblings. I am the oldest and my brother and I are 4 years apart. I am almost 7 years older than my little sister. When my wife and I started having kids, I told her that there was no way I was going to have kids that far apart.

As far "starting over" again, my wife and I sort of had to do that with our daughter (3 mos. yesterday). She had a really easy time getting pregnant with our boys. We had decided that with 2 boys, we'd give it one last shot to see if we could get lucky and have a girl. We started trying and just like the boys, she was pregnant right off the bat. Except this time, she had what the doctors called a "passed pregnancy" which is basically a miscarriage without the egg ever implanting. After that, conception was a struggle and it really wore on my wife and started to harm our marriage.

Eventually, we decided to stop trying in about January of last year. In the meantime, our then 2 year old took to potty training quickly and by March we were done with all of the baby stuff (and still not pregnant). We were done with diapers, bottles, pack and plays, cribs, etc. It took us a while, but we had really accepted and embraced "only" being a family of 4. So much so that my wife decided to have a bunion removed on her foot that was really bugging her. That was her real "acceptance" with not having another kid because she always said that she would wait until we were done.

So last June, she had the surgery. About a week later, she tells me that she hadn't "started" yet. At first we thought it might have been the stress from the surgery (or the drugs). She tells me the same thing a few days later and I told her that it she maybe should take a test. Next morning, she does and there are two lines. Bam, we have another kiddo on the way after getting rid of all of our baby stuff.

But we got our little girl and she is beautiful, happy, and healthy (which is all that matters).

Dont have one myself, so I feel a little like an outsider in this thread, but I have 2 nieces and see my cousins daughter often and marvel at their personalities. They know who they are, and are not afraid to be just that. And watching them play when they don't know you are around. Pure comedic genius.

So, got back at my daughter today. She had her first day of track & field camp.

Imagine a 7 year old running the 400m.

Face full of water.

"Sorry Daddy."

Repeat.

Wonderful post. You are starting your family and there will be trials and tribulations but you'll look back my friend and love moments like this. Makes me think of this song by GreenDay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang on to those memories tightly and find the simple joy of them. Place that joy in your heart and keep it there. They are precious gifts, treat them that way.
Damn I miss my kids.
Edit ... Grand kids!!!!

golfduke said:
Protip- Don't ever tell your son to watch his aim while he's still aiming. All you'll get is an inquisitive 'what?' reply to go with your newly wet shoes and pants...

Been there done that. The boy thinks he's a real jokester. Have no idea where he got that from :mug: his thing now is to tell you to answer his questions wrong then tell you how silly you are. We have a "hose that grows" on our outside faucet and its sole purpose is for him to sneak attack anything that comes out the door

My housemate's youngest daughter (11) got a karaoke machine for her birthday.

I am slowly being killed with tweenie pop music sang out-of-tune... which I suppose is slightly different than being killed with heavily autotuned tweenie pop music on the radio.

We have a plastic storage bin in the backyard to hold chair cushions, keeps them dry. I was hosing it out to remove dirt and bugs yesterday. I had it tipped up so it would drain and it was working great. I set the hose down and was tipping it up farther to get some debris out and I turned around to pick the hose up. My 3 year old son blasts me with water in the crotch! I reply with no no no....then he drops it and runs away. I sprayed his shirt and he was not happy and wanted his shirt off because he " doesn't like his wet shirt". He then laughed and went on his way.

I missed out on this one today. My housemate's 18 year old daughter was talking about how her grandfather texts with one finger while looking over his glasses, you know, like a person who needs bifocals would.

My daughter says, "That's how it's starts. First you buy a phone so you can play Angry Birds. Then you use it to read the news. Then you get really boring. Finally, your an old grandpa texting like this," and mimes peering over glasses, texting with one finger. "My dad is at the 'reading the news' stage."

I missed out on this one today. My housemate's 18 year old daughter was talking about how her grandfather texts with one finger while looking over his glasses, you know, like a person who needs bifocals would.

My daughter says, "That's how it's starts. First you buy a phone so you can play Angry Birds. Then you use it to read the news. Then you get really boring. Finally, your an old grandpa texting like this," and mimes peering over glasses, texting with one finger. "My dad is at the 'reading the news' stage."

At least you are still at the semi cool, not boring stage.

I'm just making a conscious effort not to be like my dad. My dad is a really great guy, but helping him consists mainly of hanging out while he does the work.

^that was TOTALLY me yesterday.

I let the 8yr old "help" me wash the cars yesterday, for a few minutes. I gave her the responsibility of the hose, since last time she had the mitt/sponge, she ended up missing more of the car than she scrubbed.

So I thought I'd let her just spray the soap off where I scrubbed, because there's no way you could miss, right? Wrong.

About 4 rounds ensue of "Noooo, there are still bubbles. You see those bubbles? Spray right there until there are no more bubbles."

*spritz* "OK, I sprayed it."

"Noooo, there are still bubbles. You see those bubbles? Spray right there until there are no more bubbles."

*spritz* "OK, I sprayed it."

"Give me the hose. Go over there with your mom."

So then, after I washed my car, the wife and the 8yr old washed wifey's car while I worked the hose. I tried not to be too OCD about it, and just let them do their thing.

I had to re-wash the front passenger door, and the driver's side rear quarter panel. They remained completely untouched :smack:

Back